Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search result in Contacts lacks info

I am searching for the first name of a street name: "Lorenzo".

OS 10 displays 3 contacts living in a street which contains that string in its name.

Same search in iOS (last version) only outputs 2 results in "Other results".

I don't realize why the third one is missing (that was which I was looking for!)

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 10, 2019 12:15 PM

7 replies

Apr 11, 2019 5:32 PM in response to Daniel Stonek

Hello Daniel Stonek,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you're finding a particular contact isn't appearing in your search results in iOS 12.2; is that right?

To confirm, does this only happen with one particular contact, or do you see other differences when searching?

If you search for this specific contact by name instead of street name, does their entry appear as expected?

Are you using iCloud to sync your contacts, or a third-party sync service, like Yahoo or Exchange? You can check by tapping Settings > Passwords & Accounts.

The answers to these questions will help narrow things down a bit. As a test, try tapping Settings > Contacts > Siri & Search. Then, toggle both Siri & Suggestions and Show App to off, and then back on. Then, try searching by the street name to see if it comes up. This resource has some additional detail on customizing your search settings for your reference: Use iPhone to search for content

I hope this helps get you started!

Cheers.

Apr 14, 2019 8:14 AM in response to sterling r

Hi Sterling,

I see other differences.

For example, searching for "uag" OS10 (and iCloud) finds 9 results while iOS finds only 6.

2 of those 3 are very old.

I started my address book around 30 years ago in QNX before the appearence of Linux.

I've been exporting data to newer OS and devices like Palm Pilot.

I am using Apple computers (also PowerComputing's) from 1994.

I don't remember exactly when I imported data to 'Contacts' but surely it was more than 10 years ago.

The third missing contact was manually added around 6 or 7 years ago, don't recall if it was from iOS or Mac OS.

That one and one of the other 2 old contacts have the same last name containing that string 'uag'

If I search by the complete last name then both are now listed in results.

I only use iCloud to sync Contacts and other apps.

Then, toggle both Siri & Suggestions and Show App to off, and then back on. Then, try searching by the street name to see if it comes up.

Nothing changes.

I don't see anything that can limit search results from Settings > Contacts nor Customization.

I also have another, maybe related, issue here

Despite I close whatsapp, open Contacts, edit that or other new contact created forwarding from wsapp to Contacts, they are not synced to iCloud.

Thanks,

Daniel

Apr 17, 2019 2:06 PM in response to jeremy_v

> Have you tried toggling your iCloud Contacts off and back on to see if this clears things up?

Yes, I already had done that and repeated today but it didn't help.

> Are you referring to iOS 12.2 specifically?

Yes.

I have two problems.

1) That what I posted here in my first question: iOS does not search the same way as iCloud or OS10: the missing contact in search result lives in the same street as the other two listed whose first name is "Lorenzo"

2) iOS is not uploading manually added contacts to Contacts redirected from Whatsapp I described here

About the #1 I deleted the contact from iOS and that was reflected at iCloud. Contact was deleted too almost immediately

I recreated this contact with the same data I captured with a screenshot.

Now in iOS it appears in "Lorenzo" search results but it does not (after hours) at iCloud because the new contact was not synced (uploaded) (this is problem #2)

About problem #1 I 'fixed' one single contact by deleting and recreating it. What about the others? I don't know how many of them have the same issue. I cannot search for every string I have in Contacts and compare the result with the same search at iCloud and then recreate what is needed.

And Whatsapp has nothing to do with problem #2

Thank you

Apr 17, 2019 2:31 PM in response to Daniel Stonek

Hello Daniel Stonek,

Thanks for that additional information. To clarify, you re-created the contact and it now shows as expected in your search results, but it doesn't seem to have synced to your other devices; is that right? Do you see the same contact on the iCloud website? iCloud: Use iCloud.com

Regarding your WhatsApp contacts, if I understand correctly, you're using the "Add to Contacts" function from within the app, and the new contact doesn't appear in either your built-in Contacts app, other devices, or the iCloud website. Is that right? I saw you mentioned you're using iOS 12.2 already; do you have any WhatsApp updates available in App Store > Updates?

Take care.

Apr 14, 2019 2:55 PM in response to Daniel Stonek

Hello Daniel Stonek,

We appreciate the detailed reply.

Have you tried toggling your iCloud Contacts off and back on to see if this clears things up? You can do this by tapping Settings > [your name] > iCloud. Then, switch Contacts off and back on and test it out.

Also, to clarify, you mentioned this is happening the latest iOS version. Are you referring to iOS 12.2 specifically?

If you find toggling iCloud Contacts off doesn't resolve the issue, and you're running iOS 12.2, try deleting the affected contact and then re-create it with the same information. Then, see how it appears in your search results.

Kind regards.

Apr 25, 2019 4:31 PM in response to pedro d

> Do you see the same contact on the iCloud website?

No. I wasn't trying searching in other devices, only in iCloud.

What's in iCloud that's in other devices; sync from iCloud is correct.

I see that that recreated contact in my iPhone 7 plus is not in iCloud search results (also OS X) but it is in my iPad Mini 4.

Just to verify, I created a new contact in my iPhone with the name "Lorenzo" (the string for searching).

It is synced to the iPad, not to iCloud (so OSX-iMac).

I repeated the same from my iPad and the contact was uploaded to iCloud.

Then I created a similar new contact from iCloud. It is synced to all devices.

I had said a contact added from a whatsapp vcard someone sent me some weeks ago and it was synced to iCloud I repeated the procedure asking a friend to create a contact containing that string and send it to me via Whatsapp.

From Wsapp -> Contact details -> Create New Contact -> Save

This time this contact was not synced to iCloud.

Summary: iPhone new contacts are synced to iPad but not to iCloud

Checking iPhone Settings -> Contacts -> Default Account I have 2 Gmail accounts and iCloud. It is the third time I had to check iCloud (previous were 2 and 3 weeks ago). I don't know why it changes to one of the other 2.

Sorry, now I realize why was that: one of the tests was to switch off Apple ID -> iCloud -> Contacts. So Default Account changed to one of the existing gmail accounts.

Anyway, after a while sync to iCloud is not performed.

All tests/devices were under the same network.

> Regarding your WhatsApp contacts, if I understand correctly, you're using the "Add to Contacts" function from within the app, and the new contact doesn't appear in either your built-in Contacts app, other devices, or the iCloud website. Is that right?

It is saved to Contacts but as the other ones it is not synced to iCloud.

> do you have any WhatsApp updates available in App Store > Updates?

I've set to manually make apps updates. I get a notice from Settings when an app update is available. Wsapp is up-to-date.

This issue is beyond Whatsapp, I guess.

Thanks a lot!

Search result in Contacts lacks info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.