Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Will Not Stop Opening at Login (Options>Open at Login Will Not Uncheck)

I can't stop Safari from opening at login (right-click Icon in Dock). I used to have this checked and then tried to uncheck. It would work (uncheck) but then later on it would revert to checked and open at login. Now it seems to be stuck (will not uncheck). No idea what's going on lately with this iMac & macOS Mojave. Lots of strange, slow-motion, behavior with each update.

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 10, 2019 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2019 1:31 PM

Update:

Issue has been resolved somehow... Safari has stopped opening at login. Not sure if it was a recent update or after I noticed it was listed twice under System Prefers./User & Groups/User/Login Items and removed both.

Now if I could only figure out why apps do not stay on the desktop they are assigned to or why the desktop order changes and why COMMAND+TAB and selecting app icon no longer takes you to that app's desktop.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2019 1:31 PM in response to Sapote

Update:

Issue has been resolved somehow... Safari has stopped opening at login. Not sure if it was a recent update or after I noticed it was listed twice under System Prefers./User & Groups/User/Login Items and removed both.

Now if I could only figure out why apps do not stay on the desktop they are assigned to or why the desktop order changes and why COMMAND+TAB and selecting app icon no longer takes you to that app's desktop.

Apr 10, 2019 1:21 PM in response to Sapote

If you control - click on the Dock icon/Options/Remove from Dock, will the Dock icon remove itself? If so, then try reopening Safari from the Applications folder to create a new Dock icon. See if you can get that one to work correctly.

If you are still having problems, try doing a Dock restart using the following Terminal command:

killall Dock

Log out/in and test. If that doesn’t work, you need to look in your user Library/Application Support/Dock for the .db. Use the Finder “Go To Folder” command. Enter ~/Library/Application Support/Dock.  Move the .db to your desktop.

Then try a dock reset.

Applications/Utilities/Terminal enter the command

killall Dock

Log out/in test. If it works okay, delete the .db from the desktop.

If the Dock is the same, return the .db to where you got them from, overwriting the newer ones.

Apr 13, 2019 12:54 PM in response to Sapote

Addendum:

I thought the recent migration to new iMac would resolve this but it did not. Safari still opened after logging in and I could not uncheck Options/Open at Login. Why only Safari and not Mail or other apps?

Also, both Safari & Mail will switch Desktops sometimes with Assign To/This Desktop (assigned to Desktop 4 and then switches to Desktop 3).

Apr 13, 2019 4:56 PM in response to Eric Root

Yes. No change.

I also tried this and moved two .db files from Dock folder. Sometimes Options/Open at Login will uncheck and other times it will not. Still opens at login regardless.

defaults delete com.apple.dock; killall Dock

I also reset Launchpad:

defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true; killall Dock

Apr 13, 2019 5:52 PM in response to Sapote

You may  have adware/malware installed. Try downloading this program which was written by Thomas R, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After running the scans, restart the computer.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac      10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

May 14, 2019 4:48 PM in response to Eric Root

With regards to what, the Desktop apps are assigned to?

As I mentioned, they don't stay assigned to the associated Desktop and COMMAND + TAB no longer takes me to that apps Desktop as it used to. I'm not sure why the Desktop order changes and why when I move it back to the place it was before, then the apps open in a different Desktop. It always ends up changing somehow.

For example; if I click on a link from an app that opens Safari, it'll move the Desktop that Safari is assigned to next to the one I'm on (i.e. I'm using AutoCAD on Desktop 1 and it'll move Desktop 5 w/ Safari to Desktop 2 position, then I move that Desktop 2 w/ Safari back to Desktop position 5 and then later on close/open Safari it won't open on Desktop 5 even though it is assigned to it).

Safari Will Not Stop Opening at Login (Options>Open at Login Will Not Uncheck)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.