Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

goodluckyday.site

This popped up on Iphone this morning--would not go away -- now can't use Safari and can't clear any history, etc. How do I correct?

iPhone 8, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 13, 2019 2:02 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 15, 2019 7:15 AM in response to DLH2019

Hi DLH2019,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I see you have a pop-up on your iPhone display.

Have you tried these steps from the article titled How to block pop-ups in Safari?

"Pop-ups and ads in Safari

If you see an annoying pop-up in Safari, you can go to the Search field and enter a new URL or search term to browse to a new site. If you don’t see the Search field on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap the top of the screen to make it appear.

Some popups and ads have fake buttons that resemble the close button, so use caution if you try to close a pop-up or ad. If you're unsure, avoid interacting with the popup or ad and close the Safari window or tab."

You may also be able to close it by tapping the "tabs" icon in the lower right corner of Safari and tapping the x icon to close the affected tab.

You mentioned also that you weren't able to clear your history. What happened when you tried? Did you do this by tapping Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data?

I hope this helps get you started.

Cheers.

Apr 16, 2019 4:44 AM in response to DLH2019

I've also recently been getting this annoying problem but it only occurs when visiting a particular website (a UK online newspaper website www.express.co.uk) and then only if I reject all data sharing under GDPR regulations. If I accept all data sharing purposes it doesn't happen. When it does happen it makes the website unusable. Interestingly, the pop up appears on my iPhone and iPad (both running the latest iOS 12.2) but not on my Mac, even though my settings on Safari block Pop-ups, prevent cross site tracking and give 'fraudulent website warning'. The pop-up says that I'm an Aldi customer and offers a prize winning chance if I 'spin the wheel' - I'm not and I'm not acting on the offer in any way. It then goes on to recognise me as an iPhone/iPad user and offers the chance of winning an Aldi gift card in celebration of 1 Billion hours of YouTube watched every day).

In my first effort to get rid of this from my iPad I did a complete reset erasing all content and settings and then restored from a recent back-up that pre dated the problem. This did not remove the problem. I then deleted the YouTube App from my iPad and then restored the YouTube App from the App Store.

So far the problem now appears to have gone - fingers crossed!

goodluckyday.site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.