Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera Kit vs USB cable with correct connectors (iPad Pro 12.9" 2018 model)

Howdy!

I use my iPad on stage to select effects presets for my guitar rig via MIDI. I just bought the 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", and I bought the camera adapter kit at the same time. (I have been using an iPad 4 for the last 10 years, and definitely needed the camera adaptor.) However, I see that I can buy a USB cable that has a USB-C connector on one end, and a USB-B connector on the other end, which will plug directly from the iPad to my MIDI Interface without the need for the camera adapter. Question: Is there something going on in the camera adapter that I lose by using the USB-C to USB-B cable - or will this work just fine?

Many thanks,

Lou

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 13, 2019 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2019 11:25 AM

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this. I bought the USB-C Male to USB-B Male cable, and it solved my problem. Thank you, rbrylawski for your assistance.

Just in case someone comes about this post in the future, here is the problem I was having:

I am running SetListMaker on my iPad, and I have set up many MIDI Presets that send out a MIDI Patch Change command to my MIDI-controllable pedals on my pedalboard when that MIDI Preset's icon is touched. On my old iPad, this worked flawlessly. However, on the new iPad (with USB-C connector), I was finding I had to repeatedly touch the icon anywhere from one to as many as five times before the iPad sent out the Patch Change Command. Taking the Apple Camera Connection Kit out of the equation, and using just the USB-C to USB-B cable to the MIDI interface (an old Meritline interface) on my pedalboard resolved this issue, and it is now back to working flawlessly.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2019 11:25 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this. I bought the USB-C Male to USB-B Male cable, and it solved my problem. Thank you, rbrylawski for your assistance.

Just in case someone comes about this post in the future, here is the problem I was having:

I am running SetListMaker on my iPad, and I have set up many MIDI Presets that send out a MIDI Patch Change command to my MIDI-controllable pedals on my pedalboard when that MIDI Preset's icon is touched. On my old iPad, this worked flawlessly. However, on the new iPad (with USB-C connector), I was finding I had to repeatedly touch the icon anywhere from one to as many as five times before the iPad sent out the Patch Change Command. Taking the Apple Camera Connection Kit out of the equation, and using just the USB-C to USB-B cable to the MIDI interface (an old Meritline interface) on my pedalboard resolved this issue, and it is now back to working flawlessly.

Camera Kit vs USB cable with correct connectors (iPad Pro 12.9" 2018 model)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.