Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lightning av adaptor with HDMI not working

In November 2018 I was able to successfully use the Apple lightning adaptor to cast my downloaded Amazon Prime movies (since at work we aren’t allowed to stream) to my two Viewsonic TVs with no problem and I did this from my iPhone 7 and IPad Air 2. Now, April 2019 I’m trying to show another downloaded prime movie and all of a sudden no image appears. Sound is coming from the TV but no video images. Nothing has changed and I’m using the same IPad and iPhone and lightning connector and no changes to my TV were made. Since I can’t stream, I don’t know how to get my prime videos from my phone or iPad to play on my TV at work.

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 13, 2019 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2019 9:18 AM

Both iPhone and iPad are running iOS 12.2 and all apps are up to date. Since I’m not allowed to stream at work (I’m a teacher so everything is blocked) the only way to show a video is either through a DVD or if I download through Prime and cast it to my TVs. So this my only source. I used the authentic Apple lightning adaptor with my iPad back in November and casted a movie to my TVs and there were no problems so when I ran into this issue I thought maybe with the new iOS 12 update, it had something to do with it.

now the same issue occurs with both TVs but one is the main TV that I really have to deal with to get everything to work. Once I plug the adaptor into my iPad and then the HDMI cable in my iPad, my iPad screen goes dark (because usually the movie plays on my screen and on the TV at the same time) and then the TVs go dark as if trying to show the movie, no images but there is audio. So it seems like something with the adaptor and HDMI cable?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2019 9:18 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Both iPhone and iPad are running iOS 12.2 and all apps are up to date. Since I’m not allowed to stream at work (I’m a teacher so everything is blocked) the only way to show a video is either through a DVD or if I download through Prime and cast it to my TVs. So this my only source. I used the authentic Apple lightning adaptor with my iPad back in November and casted a movie to my TVs and there were no problems so when I ran into this issue I thought maybe with the new iOS 12 update, it had something to do with it.

now the same issue occurs with both TVs but one is the main TV that I really have to deal with to get everything to work. Once I plug the adaptor into my iPad and then the HDMI cable in my iPad, my iPad screen goes dark (because usually the movie plays on my screen and on the TV at the same time) and then the TVs go dark as if trying to show the movie, no images but there is audio. So it seems like something with the adaptor and HDMI cable?

Apr 15, 2019 8:53 AM in response to RapTeach

Hello RapTeach,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities. I see you're running into some issues playing downloaded movies, and I'm glad to offer assistance.

Which iOS versions are you using on each device? You can check under Settings > General > About.

Does the same thing happen with video from a different source? Also, you mentioned you have two TVs available; does the same thing happen with both? Knowing this would help to narrow things down further.

Are you playing these videos using the Amazon Prime Video app, or something else? Are there any updates available for the app in question under App Store > Updates?

This resource has some great information About Apple Digital AV Adapters for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch:

"If an app doesn't display video or play audio

The app might not be compatible with your adapter. Check compatibility on the app's info page in the App Store or contact the developer."

You might also want to double-check this resource published by Amazon, which will help you to ensure your connection meets their most current HDCP standards: What is Content Protection?

I hope this helps.

Take care.

Apr 15, 2019 12:56 PM in response to RapTeach

Hello RapTeach,

We appreciate the follow-up details. If you have another adapter or cable available to test, that would be a great way to help narrow things down, particularly since the issue is happening on two TVs and iOS devices. If you find the issue happens with another cable or adapter as well, that would point to a possible issue with HDCP standards. This link has more information about Amazon Prime Video and HDCP: What is Content Protection?

Cheers!

lightning av adaptor with HDMI not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.