Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS automatically start chrome browser at startup

Hi,

Recently, my macbook automatically start chrome browser at startup with the website https://trusteer.secure.force.com/PKB/articles/en_US/FAQ/Thanks-for-installing-Rapport.

I tried to disable it and delete the rapport, but it always keep coming up.

I also made sure that there is no startup program by checking Users & Group -> login items.

Does anyone have the similar issue?

Or how do I disable the chrome startup?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 13, 2019 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2019 2:48 AM

Make sure that you uninstall this trusteer program.

Close this window if it is open and quit Chrome.

Also make sure that nothing like it is in System Preferences->Users & Groups->Login Items.

Restart and it should have gone.

12 replies

May 1, 2019 12:52 PM in response to xuannnn

I've been having exactly this problem too, it's happened since I did my last security updates and the browser always lands on a 'thank you for downloading trusteer rapport' page. I don't think I have downloaded that though it's insisted you have it installed by some banking websites I believe.

Anyway, it's been driving me nuts, nothing I did to stop Chrome auto-opening on login worked so I uninstalled Chrome and next time the same thing happened with Safari instead.

I've managed to turn off Rapport (I think) so I'm hoping that might fix it but I really hope it stops with the next security update which I'm doing now. I'm glad it's not just me anyway!

May 7, 2019 9:00 PM in response to xuannnn

Based on the reply from IBM Trusteer Support 

They suggest me to do this:

"We recommend you uninstall Rapport's current version, use the Terminal to remove Rapport's old folders, and then install Rapport's latest version. "

"Once Rapport is completely uninstalled, remove its remaining folders as instructed here:"

https://trusteer.secure.force.com/PKB/articles/en_US/FAQ/RT-ALL-Removing-Rapport-folders-for-Mac-OS-X

https://trusteer.secure.force.com/PKB/articles/en_US/FAQ/RT-ALL-Removing-Rapport-folders-for-Windows-Vista-7-8-10

May 11, 2019 3:31 AM in response to xuannnn

I had this problem as well - started in the past month or so.

Long story short - I ended up uninstalling Rapport which solved this problem for me. (I dont remember installing Rapport but I do remember the Santander online banking website prompting me to install it a few times - I've checked my Santander login since uninstalling and its fine).

Anyhow - the long story about what I tried to fix this problem is below:

1) Tried to enable the Safari Rapport Extensions

I use Chrome as my default browser - but the web page that pops up refers to a Safari extension. So I checked my Safari browser preferences and sure enough there were 2 Rapport extensions that were not enabled. So I enabled them and restarted my macbook but still the Chrome page popped up.

2) Tried to uninstall the Safari Rapport Extensions

In the Safari Preferences / Extensions page I clicked on uninstall on the extensions. However, it told me you cant uninstall the extensions - you have to uninstall the whole Rapport application (see point 4 below).

3) Tried to install Chrome Rapport Extensions

I tried locating the Rapport extensions in the Chrome Extension store but couldnt find them. Tried the IBM Rapport website and couldnt find a link to them. So I gave up on that option.

4) Tried to uninstall the Rapport application

So decided to go for the ultimate option and just get rid of the Rapport application - which remember I dont recall actually installing in the first place and secondly doesnt seem to impact my use of online banking.

Uninstalling Rapport isnt as easy as I thought. It is not installed as a standard mac osx application. You have to find/download the Rapport installation dmg, run it, select the Unintsall option.

So finally the page popup is gone on a reboot and I can still use my online banking as before.

Dont think much of this Rapport application.

Hope this helps.

MacOS automatically start chrome browser at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.