Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Max camera issue - Bright sun shots

I noticed how strangely the iphone (XSMax) processes the photos which are taken directly pointed at the sun. I see 2 horizontal and 2 vertical lines around the sun such that it creates a hashtag (#) I am attaching a few shots for reference. I never faced this issue with previous iphones or other android phones. I also checked with a couple of others who use the XS Max and they also have this # like glitch appearing in their shots. It might not be noticeable at the first glance but when you start editing the shots, they seem to get more prominent. As a professional photographer myself, I feel this issue in such an expensive gadget is unacceptable. Can someone share their thoughts on this? Has anyone else in the community also have this in their shots? Can someone from Apple address this concern?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 14, 2019 12:15 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 14, 2019 4:41 AM in response to RahulVangani

As a professional you will understand the problems around flare and digital processing, particularly with a small mass produced device. Considering the whole iPhone probably costs less than the cheapest lens for my DSLR the result in difficult conditions is probably about what you can reasonably expect.

If you think the performance indicates a defective device use (link) Get Support and arrange to have the iPhone checked by Apple Service while it is still in warranty.

Apr 16, 2019 1:01 AM in response to Branta_uk

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Firstly, lets not compare a phone with a DSLR and a lens. And an iPhone XS MAX 256Gb would definitely cost more than a lot of DSLRs and lenses out there combined, so we will keep that debate out of the way.

Secondly, this is not a flare issue. I can live with a flare as it still looks natural but these are noticeable lines which never occurred previously on my iPhone 7plus, 6 or even 4S so why on the XS MAX which is supposed to be better than all the previous models.

iPhone XS Max camera issue - Bright sun shots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.