Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2019 very slow WiFi speed

Last week brought a new iPad Air. After talking to apple support they advised me to exchange with retailer. I did and have exact same problem. This would indicate my network issue, however the other devices including iPhones and iPads all connect. I can not figure it out. Tried reset, reset network, tried different DNS settings, but still only get WiFi speeds of below 2mbps compared with 37 plus mbps on all other devices.

My setup is fibre broadband. I average 37mbps. I have a main router link to 3 developer dlan 500 wireless adapters throughout the house plugged in via ring main. Had this set for 4 years with no issues. Other iPads, iPhones, android, chrome books and windows work fine. My main router works with it fine, so it is the adapters which I have reset and they work fine with other devices including apple. All device settings are exactly the same so I can not figure this out. So this Apple can not help, technical support had never heard of this. Can anyone help. This seems to be my adapters and iPad Air only.

Picture red shows the other devices by comparison

iPad Air, 12

Posted on Apr 19, 2019 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2019 4:58 PM

Update. Now isolated the issue. After buying a third iPad Air, all appeared OK for 3 days. So I went and purchased an Apple Pencil and had the same problem all over again. So I turned bluetooth off and WiFi works fine. Turn Bluetooth on in order connect the pencil and WiFi download speed drops to 0.1 mbps. Turn off and wifi works again. Upload speeds remain unaffected. I have tested this dozens off times and it consistently drops in and out depending if Bluetooth is enabled. WiFi works fine on my router which is 5mhz but clearly not on the rest of my network adapters, Devolo DLan 500 which is 2.5mhz. So the iPad Air 2019 has a WiFi and blue tooth tooth compatibility issue over a 2.5mhz network. So pencil has been returned as it is not good if I have to disconnect from the network to enable it. I will buy one after Apple sort this issue, if they ever do. It will be a software issue. I have changed channels on the network and reset the network and iPad settings. No change. My other apple devices work fine on the network. I have seen many on other threads on this very issue going back years regarding the years the Bluetooth and WiFi issue. What concerns me is the 2 occasions I explained this to Apple support they stated they had never heard of such an issue. Yet I now see all these threads which clearly highlights a common issue that Apple are aware of. Very disappointed. When will Apple acknowledge and fix this issue.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2019 4:58 PM in response to MarkJ3401

Update. Now isolated the issue. After buying a third iPad Air, all appeared OK for 3 days. So I went and purchased an Apple Pencil and had the same problem all over again. So I turned bluetooth off and WiFi works fine. Turn Bluetooth on in order connect the pencil and WiFi download speed drops to 0.1 mbps. Turn off and wifi works again. Upload speeds remain unaffected. I have tested this dozens off times and it consistently drops in and out depending if Bluetooth is enabled. WiFi works fine on my router which is 5mhz but clearly not on the rest of my network adapters, Devolo DLan 500 which is 2.5mhz. So the iPad Air 2019 has a WiFi and blue tooth tooth compatibility issue over a 2.5mhz network. So pencil has been returned as it is not good if I have to disconnect from the network to enable it. I will buy one after Apple sort this issue, if they ever do. It will be a software issue. I have changed channels on the network and reset the network and iPad settings. No change. My other apple devices work fine on the network. I have seen many on other threads on this very issue going back years regarding the years the Bluetooth and WiFi issue. What concerns me is the 2 occasions I explained this to Apple support they stated they had never heard of such an issue. Yet I now see all these threads which clearly highlights a common issue that Apple are aware of. Very disappointed. When will Apple acknowledge and fix this issue.

iPad Air 2019 very slow WiFi speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.