Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Audio when importing to FCP

Importing from a Canon XHA1 digital tape the audio (on a single track) is missing. It is a full 63 minute tape and the audio stopped after 14 minutes. I tried several recommended actions such as altering the preferences - including 'remove silent channels' on and off, (which wasn't ticked ) restated Final Cut, tried Movie, restarted my Mac all to no avail.

I then tried reloading the video that had worked correctly, as a test - the first 14 minutes - and that now also does not have audio with it. So it worked fine to start with and now doesn't what is the problem and how to solve it please?

The file is a digital copy from an old video 8 analogue tape.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 19, 2019 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2019 4:13 AM

Yes, this seems to be part of the problem - there wasn't a continuous time code on the first tape I was importing.

The cure seems to be a combination of the comments on here plus a camera setting - when I switched to 12 bit sound - away from 16 bit sound I can import successfully

Similar questions

13 replies

Apr 20, 2019 1:20 PM in response to chattychatty

The problem has got even more stronge - I managed to fool, what ever the impediment is, by starting the tape to be uploaded before hitting 'import', whereupon it was able to play the picture with full sound in the import window - but failed to upload it... so it can interpret the video and sound together - just not import it with the sound... Puzzled. Perhaps it is time to buy a rival product.

Apr 20, 2019 7:55 PM in response to chattychatty

chattychatty wrote:

- again more investigation in the morning . Its half past midnight here.

A fresh look is always a good approach.

FCP X does expect to see continuous Time Code, breaks will put it into a spin.

Try Importing a section where the TC is contiguous and there is no damage to the tape.

Usually the first minute or so has damage due to threading/unthreading of the tape around the tape path.

Open the case Swinging door and check to see the edges of the tape are OK, sometimes an out of alignment path can physically crease the edge.

Al

No Audio when importing to FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.