Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook air is asking for 6 digits pass code. But I didn't turn Lost mode on. What happens?

My macbook is asking for pin lock code (6 digits). Usually it happens when we turn Lost mode on and lock the device remotely. But I didn't lost either lock it. I just left it in the office for one night, on the next day when I opened the mac, it was asking for the 6 digits pass code. What to do next?

Context:

• I have 2 macbook air. A Mid 2012 and a new 2018 Macbook Air. The locked one is the 2018.
  • I just bought the 2018 used a month ago at a local store, still has apple care until Jan.2020
  • When I login to Apple I still see it in my Devices list
  • But when I login to icloud.com/#find, I can't find it in my device list. On the other hand, I didn't turn Find my Mac on both of my mac.
  • I never notice that in my device list, the new macbook air name is macbook's Macbook Air even though I already Login with my Apple ID. It's supposed to have my name on it like the old mac?
  • When I purchased the new 2018 Macbook Air I noticed that it has another admin account in the system, I deleted it but somehow when I restart the macbook I can still see the other admin account while login. Does this mean I bought a stolen macbook and now it has been blocked remotely by the real owner or this is a bug?

Please let me know what should I do?

Thank you very much.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 20, 2019 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2019 1:11 PM

It seems all those problems resulted from buying a used Mac that had not been properly prepared for sale. Ideally, have its previous owner accomplish these steps: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac ...

Does this mean I bought a stolen macbook ...

Not necessarily, but from your perspective it does not really matter. Your Mac is doing exactly what it is designed to do: prevent its unauthorized use. You will encounter continual problems until that Mac is properly prepared for sale.

If you don't know or cannot contact its previous owner, perform those steps beginning with Step 6. Merely erasing the previous Admin account will not be sufficient.

At your option, contact AppleCare because you have it. AppleCare is transferable and it stays with the Mac.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2019 1:11 PM in response to nhat2910

It seems all those problems resulted from buying a used Mac that had not been properly prepared for sale. Ideally, have its previous owner accomplish these steps: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac ...

Does this mean I bought a stolen macbook ...

Not necessarily, but from your perspective it does not really matter. Your Mac is doing exactly what it is designed to do: prevent its unauthorized use. You will encounter continual problems until that Mac is properly prepared for sale.

If you don't know or cannot contact its previous owner, perform those steps beginning with Step 6. Merely erasing the previous Admin account will not be sufficient.

At your option, contact AppleCare because you have it. AppleCare is transferable and it stays with the Mac.

My Macbook air is asking for 6 digits pass code. But I didn't turn Lost mode on. What happens?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.