Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Performing Finder Operations, the Mouse Pointer Moves on its own/Programs Switch

Hi, this is a truly annoying behavior that I hope someone can help get rid of. It most often happens if I export photos from Photos, after having completed the operation, the iMac tab switches between programs (it is random where it ends up) and moves the pointer in a nice arc down toward the lower right-hand corner. It takes a few seconds before this settles down and I can finally start using the Mac again. It can also happen if i download a file from Safari or something else that targets Finder.

I have tried all the tips here: https://www.saintlad.com/mouse-or-trackpad-cursor-moves-randomly-in-macos-os-x/

No luck, though, and I have run out of possible solutions. I use a Logitech mouse with a USB dongle and no trackpad.

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 20, 2019 11:00 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 22, 2019 1:53 AM in response to BJ4Rock

Sorry to be so blunt, but what a mess...

You have a huge number of login items, launch agents, many of them apparently rather old, and you have this **** called "cleanmymac". This program is known to cripple systems by deleting files that should be left alone.

You can start by uninstalling cmm, per the developers' instructions, but really you should do a clean install.

It looks like this mac has been accumulating stuff for over a decade.

Fortunately, it is relatively easy to bring it back to a great shape.

1) Make a full backup, preferably two: a Time Machine, and a full bootable clone, on a separate drive. You can use the free version of SuperDuper! to make this clone.

2) Erase and install. I advise you to create an installer on a usb stick, to avoid having to install over the internet (slow).

Instructions here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Supporthttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

3) Migrate ONLY the user accounts (NOT applications, NOT settings, or other files) from the backup you made in step 1.

4) Install any applications you really need.

Enjoy your clean, fast mac, working the way it is supposed to.

Oh, and NEVER let anything like "cleanmymac" near your mac again. Macs don't need "cleaners", they just need to be properly cared for.

After Performing Finder Operations, the Mouse Pointer Moves on its own/Programs Switch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.