Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing passwords in keychain

I had to hard reboot because an app would not close and would not allow me to restart. Then the keychain required an update after which all my passwords were gone. I can still see them on other devices but I cannot get this MacBook to sync down those passwords from iCloud. So frustrated.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 21, 2019 6:10 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 21, 2019 7:17 PM in response to Ferd II

I've tried setting up my iCloud Keychain about a dozen times now, which is what that support article suggests. I've also tried importing the .db files in keychains folders. I still see those entries on my other devices so I'm hopeful that the iCloud version of the keychain has not been destroyed, but so far nothing has enabled me to import or setup locally.

Apr 22, 2019 8:29 PM in response to Ferd II

Hi. No, I used "If you don't see your iCloud Keychain items" since the passwords list is empty while I previously had about 550 passwords saved. I did check, though, and those settings are set to autofill.

The location of the .db files is ~/Library/Keychains. I didn't find any other directories that had .db files associated with keychains.

Apr 22, 2019 9:06 PM in response to jocago

Even you restore files from time machine , passwords are encrypted they can't be physically read by the administrator , the autofill box is to be checked and iCloud Keychain box is to be checked in system preferences ( if there are any issues in iCloud Keychain if you click on reset iCloud Keychain all passwords will be lost and that is to be done in very rare scenarios .

If you try to import passwords from iPhone to Mac the article is posted , if you are not using iPhone and only Mac , the iCloud Keychain is set up and passwords are stored inn keychain access .

These passwords can be read by opening keychain access , double click on web mail address , enter the admin password and click on the box show passwords ( but in your case the number is more than 500 , that is very time taking job ) .

Apr 22, 2019 9:29 PM in response to jocago

I won't say that I figured it out, but I did get it to work. Somehow, the computer now has a different password than the admin account. When I log in, I have to input both and then the keychain syncs. I'll try to figure the password discrepancy out, but this issue is done.

Thanks for everyone who helped me.

Missing passwords in keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.