Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Drive "content unavailable" in Pages, Numbers, Keynote and Files apps

I have an iPad Pro iOS 12.2 with all relevant apps updated to the latest versions.

When trying to open Google Drive in general in the apps Pages, Numbers and Keynote, as well as in the general Files app on the iPad, I constantly get the error message "Content Unavailable. The folder contents could not be displayed because of an unknown error. Try Again." (screenshot attached)

I have tried again and again loads of times, refreshed the apps, turned the iPad on and off again, and this problem has consistently been present for the last months. I did at one moment uninstall Google Drive before installing it again, and after that I could access Google Drive through the apps mentioned for a day or so before the problem reappeared. I am not that interested in having to uninstall and reinstall Google Drive every time I want to access it, so does anyone have a better solution? (Is there some "give access"-button I have missed somewhere, because I have been looking everywhere, I believe)

Attached is a screenshot from within the Files app, but it's exactly the same in the three other apps. When pressing "Try Again" the contents of Google Drive sort of flashes up and are visible for one second, and then this message comes up again.

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 22, 2019 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2019 12:50 AM

Allright, to everyone who might be interested.

I chatted for three hours last night with various Apple advisors at all different levels to solve the problem, and it ended with us trying to factory reset the iPad. When I did that, downloaded and signed in to all relevant apps, the problem was briefly gone. I restarted the iPad and the problem reoccurred for a little while. (Slightly irritably, after we had scheduled a call with some higher-level technicians for this morning and ended the chat,) the problem eventually just went away on its own later last night, and I haven't been able to reproduce it, which is good. It does, at the moment, seem like the factory reset did the job, although I am slightly unsure of how long that will last (because the problem did occur once after the factory reset, as well as a problem with the Pages and Files app not showing any content or error message or allowing me to create a new document or anything for a little while). It's at least some form of a solution, for now.

The scheduled call wasn't made, for some reason they tried to call but failed. The problem being gone now, I haven't scheduled a call back at this moment.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2019 12:50 AM in response to eclbirkeland

Allright, to everyone who might be interested.

I chatted for three hours last night with various Apple advisors at all different levels to solve the problem, and it ended with us trying to factory reset the iPad. When I did that, downloaded and signed in to all relevant apps, the problem was briefly gone. I restarted the iPad and the problem reoccurred for a little while. (Slightly irritably, after we had scheduled a call with some higher-level technicians for this morning and ended the chat,) the problem eventually just went away on its own later last night, and I haven't been able to reproduce it, which is good. It does, at the moment, seem like the factory reset did the job, although I am slightly unsure of how long that will last (because the problem did occur once after the factory reset, as well as a problem with the Pages and Files app not showing any content or error message or allowing me to create a new document or anything for a little while). It's at least some form of a solution, for now.

The scheduled call wasn't made, for some reason they tried to call but failed. The problem being gone now, I haven't scheduled a call back at this moment.

Apr 23, 2019 12:13 PM in response to h_sebastian

I just tried activating Google Drive in Numbers on my iPad Pro, iOS 12.2 and it worked so there doesn’t seem to be a connection problem with Google Drive from within iOS? And once connected from within Numbers, it automatically shows up as a location in my Files app.

I assume you have no problem logging into your Google Drive account in a web browser and the content is there and intact? If that is true, I would suggest also searching Google’s own support forums for troubleshooting Google Drive access from iOS. They have trouble shooting steps for that kind of error from web browsers, but I’m just sure I’ve seen anything specifically for iOS access.

May 24, 2019 1:58 AM in response to eclbirkeland

I ended up getting it to work by removing all my google accounts from the Google Drive (and all other google apps) and then added the one that I wanted to use on the Files app. I then added other accounts and it seems to be working.

Update

Well, that didn’t last long. After a bit with multiple accounts, the error came back. I went back to one Google account and it now seems to be work. So it seems files isn’t coping well with multiple Google accounts associated to the same Drive app.

Jun 13, 2019 7:02 AM in response to scheeko

So I have this same issue. I hadn’t noticed it until I tried to attach a file in an email. For some reason I cannot do that and then realized that the gdrive was not really available. I guess it is caching the file list some how, because it shows files that were there at some point, but not necessarily there now. I have been testing out using just an iPad for travel, but there is just so many things one cannot do with an iPad.

If I save the file to the iCloud it works fine. So it is all to do with apples use of the google api I guess. With Apples ridiculous cost for storage(compared to the going price) it just adds another pain for us apples users.

Jun 13, 2019 7:57 AM in response to douglas.nichols

Apple, Dropbox and Google all charge exactly the same price for their 2TB plans - $9.99/month. Google and Apple’s price for 200GB is also identical at $2.99/month (Dropbox doesn’t offer anything between their 2GB free and their 2TB subscription). So I don’t understand where your comment about pricing is coming from?

If you know of some really less expensive online storage in the 200GB to 2TB range, I am sure people would like to know about it, and does it work with iOS? I have 50GB free Box.net from a long ago promotion when they first offered their iOS app (it has limitations of file sizes and individual uploads though), but I tend to think of Box as much more a business class solution, not a consumer cloud service.

Jun 24, 2019 9:20 AM in response to Michael Black

I've struggled with this issue on and off for several months now. I've noticed that signing out of my Google account on the Google Apps and then signing back in can help for a short period.

But what I think might be key to figuring out what is going on is that every time I've seen this issue, I'm actually seeing syncing issues in the Google Drive iOS app itself. What I mean is that, when this issue with Apple Files happens, I'm actually not seeing new files show up in the Google Drive iOS app either. For example, I'll upload a file to Google Drive on the web and I see it replicate across desktop platforms, but I wont see it show up in the Google Drive iOS app. This is temporarily rectified by signing out of the Google Drive iOS app, and then signing back in again.

Maybe the Google Drive iOS app that is required to make the handoff to the Apple Files app is timing out with its authenticated connection to Google? So when Apple Files tries query Google for the updated list of files it is getting refused... Just a shot in the dark.

Google Drive "content unavailable" in Pages, Numbers, Keynote and Files apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.