Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Gmail intermittently go offline?

I use an IMAP gmail account as my primary email account. In Mojave on iMac recently, it has started showing as though it is offline. Mail does not come through promptly but it does come and it does send OK. It's driving me mad.

I wrote a post about this yesterday but it seems to have gone missing.

I've tried to uninstall/reinstall but the new Apple Mail seems to 'remember' previous accounts and settings...

I have this problem only on the iMac...

Posted on Apr 22, 2019 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2019 2:08 PM

If Gmail didn't know your current email password, it would not allow a connection between Apple Mail and the Gmail servers. I had something comparable with my university alumni email, where they started annual password aging, and my email password expired. Once I updated the password, all was well.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2019 2:08 PM in response to mulberrywriter

If Gmail didn't know your current email password, it would not allow a connection between Apple Mail and the Gmail servers. I had something comparable with my university alumni email, where they started annual password aging, and my email password expired. Once I updated the password, all was well.

Apr 23, 2019 1:44 PM in response to mulberrywriter

Hey mulberrywriter,

I see that you're having some trouble with email accounts in Mail, and you've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Mail app but the previous account settings were saved. I'll be happy to help out.

First, try running Mail Connection Doctor, as this can help pinpoint the issue and provide solutions to fix it: Use Mail Connection Doctor If that still doesn't fix the issue, try removing the account and adding it again: Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Have a great day! 

Apr 23, 2019 1:55 PM in response to CarlAVII

Dear Allen A,

Well, now I know there's such a thing as connection doctor! Thanks for that.

I have actually deleted and reinstalled gmail several times and the problem kept recurring. Today, it seems to have disappeared - for now...

However, in Connection Doctor, I notice that 3 of my email addresses are there as a single entry but both Gmail and my own webpage email which is installed by some remote oddity from BlueHost are there twice each. I'm too scared to delete one in case it is the one that is working. Both entries have a green dot so do you think it's best I just leave that??

thanks for your help.

Apr 23, 2019 2:02 PM in response to mulberrywriter

There can be a whole host of issues going on between you and the Gmail server farm that are entirely out of your control. There could be catastophic hardware failure anywhere on that Internet routing, or within the Google premise. Some are quick fixes, and others not so much. If your ISP mucks up their DNS, it could be several hours before they get that sorted, and normal mail routing is restored.

Apr 23, 2019 2:10 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX - I think you're right. Somehow it makes sense that it is password related. I was asked to change mine, but Google somehow kept wanting me to set the email up again using past settings...For that reason alone, I reckon I'll leave the two gmails that appear in Connection Doctor alone...!! I might delete the wrong one :)

thanks for your help. It's good to get an idea of the sort of problems that cause these sillinesses...

Why does Gmail intermittently go offline?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.