Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail Sierra Certificate Problem

I'm using a late-2016 MacBook Pro, with Retina display and the horrible touch bar.

For *months* I've had a recurring error checking my work email account: "Mail can not verify server identity."

I've tried numerous fixes posted online. Including:

Deleting the mail account and adding it back.

Trying to delete the expired certificate. All attempts to delete it led to a UNIX( error, whatever that is. Switching back and forth between TLS/SSL and *not* TLS/SSL (and yes, I used the right port settings). And...I don't even remember all the other things I tried.

Tonight (China time) I found a solution. There are probably others, but I've ****** away so much time being stubborn about this that I have zero interest in looking further.

I don't know if this is a general solution - it's kind of a kluge - but here's what I did:

Followed the "official" Apple recommendations at: https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mail/ssl-connect-outgoing-mail-server-mlhlp1072/mac Your mail is probably already configured by following this process. Which didn't solve my problem. I had gotten this far already.

Went to Mail/Setting/(account name)/Server Settings.

Turned off "Automatically manage connection settings".

Made sure I had the right port numbers for using TLS/SSL.

(Some variation of this may work without TLS/SSL toggled on. See comment below.)

The following the part that I had to make up:

Within Keychain Access, I used "Certificate Assistant" to create my own TLS certificate.

You can't find the Certificate Assistant without choosing "System" in the upper left field . When you do this, a pull-down menu appears at the top of the page. Under Keychain Access, you can now launch Certificate Assistant. This is the annoying part. I followed some path that allowed me to create my own TLS certificate. I can't remember what it was. It was simple, but I was running on instinct and can't remember anything about the details. I've gone back and found that one can generate a security certificate that is not specifically a TLS certificate. This might be important if you turn TLS/SSL authentication off.

Back in mail, I went to "Advanced POP Settings." I set the TLS certificate identity to my TLS certificate. Then I toggled "Allow insecure authentication", in the same window.

Server identification problem disappeared. I can read my ****ing email again.

Please bear in mind that I did all this by ****ing around for many hours, and following my instincts.

There may be many reasons why this solution is very bad in terms of security.

I expect there are many "upgrades" to this solution. To make life easier for most users: If you have an upgrade/solution based on UNIX command lines? Please don't post it. Solutions based on UNIX code instantly exclude 99%+ of the user community, and are effectively useless. (Pet peeve of mine....)

It would be especially useful if someone provides guidance for navigating Certificate Assistant. I don't have the time or patience . (Or authoritative knowledge of any kind!)

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 23, 2019 3:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2019 4:20 AM

Sadly, I can't figure out how to easily delete my "question".

Although I enjoyed the first 20 minutes of problem-free email?

The problem has reappeared.

I apologize for wasting you bandwidth.

Similar questions

2 replies

Mac Mail Sierra Certificate Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.