Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with kerning on titles when changing font sizes

I've noticed a recent issue just in the last month or so (so I'm assuming it's a bug in the latest update), but when resizing the title text the kerning increases between the letters, meaning no matter how small the font is some titles are always going over onto 2 lines. In the past I could always adjust the font so that it was as large as possible without the title breaking onto a second line, now it seems impossible. Does anyone know what the fix might be?

Screenshot showing the current issue in iMovie

Screenshot showing previous issues where this wasn't a problem

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 23, 2019 7:45 AM

10 replies

Apr 23, 2019 3:43 PM in response to PRSpence

Apparently it will not work with the title you are using. Try it with another title and font and see if you get better results.

Alternatively, you can build your own title using the preview app on your Mac. Make a transparency of the title and overlay it onto your video with the Picture in Picture feature. Something like this;

If you are interested in trying that, post back and I'll give you directions.

-- Rich

Apr 24, 2019 7:31 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

The issue there is it has worked with this title/font before. I've used in in over 50 videos all with varying title lengths and font sizes and I use it as the intro frame on every one, so i'm not particularly keen on trying to change part of my video's branding if I can help it. The problem seems to be that the spacing between each letter keeps increasing as I change the font size, almost as if it's trying to be 'justified' instead of centred. Any idea what might be the problem? Like I said, it's only started happening in the last month or so.

I've tried with a few other fonts using the same Title and I get a similar issue. See below.

Apr 24, 2019 9:27 AM in response to PRSpence

Hmmmm. The title is a bit quirky. I think that I found the issue. It involves the exact sequence in which you enter the type and type size into the title template. What I did is add the title template above the video. I typed in the top line with the default type size (120). Then I selected the inputted type and changed the size to 36. So far so good. Then I went to the bottom line and typed in the text in the default font size. Then I selected the type and changed the font size to 80. I clicked the reset button to apply the changes. This below screen shot shows the results. There was no change in the kerning size.

But the second time I tried it in the same project, typing it in differently, I got this, and couldn't correct it:

The kerning was different in the second effort, as you have observed with your results. I can't explain why. The font sizes were the same and the settings were set to center. It apparently depends on the exact method and sequence used to input the type, as to whether you change the font sizes before or after entering the type. You must initially enter line #1 using the default type size (120), and then select the type and change the size to 36. Then follow the same sequence with line #2, entering the default type size and changing it to 80 afterwards. That seems to work.

Try it and see if you get the same results.

-- Rich

Apr 25, 2019 5:30 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

I've found that if I can type in the text, then change the font size (as you mention) to the exact font size I need, then manage to do the same with the lower title without clicking away from it or is accidentally unselecting itself (which seems to happen), then I can correctly change the font without the kerning issue. However if I then try to amend the font size, or if I accidentally click off the title and need to click back onto it, the kerning issue comes back. Surely this is a bug which needs fixing?

While I've managed to 'sort of' get it to work, the downside to this method is that I need to reset the title and re-type out the text each time if I want to work out what the correct font size should be so that it appears at the size I want it (i.e full length), this has been a quick job in the past but now it's very time consuming due to the kerning bug.

1: Correct top title and changing the bottom to match.

2: Next, changing the font size on the bottom title only then causes the kerning issue to appear on both titles.

3: After a lot of trial and error I managed to get the title sizes I'm after.

4: Though if we compare this to my previous video which was made before the bug happened you can see the kerning is a lot tighter in the original than via the new method.

My assumption is that this is a bug in the latest update of iMovie, is there anyway that this can get logged for a fix? Once again I really appreciate all your help on this.

Apr 25, 2019 7:55 AM in response to PRSpence

Yes, it is very quirky. I had to delete the title entirely and start over 2-3 times before getting it right. It does look like a bug.

You can submit a bug report at this link:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/imovie.html

If the link is not active you may need to paste it into your browser. When you get there you will see a form to fill out. Under "feedback type" the drop down menu will give you a bug report option.

Good luck with this.

-- Rich

Issues with kerning on titles when changing font sizes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.