Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adjust Kerning in iMovie 10.1.11

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

macOS Mojave 10.14.4

Since updating iMovie to version 10.1.11 I am experiencing a problem with the distance between the letters of the titles that I am adding to my photos. They are now spread across the page and look really odd. Selecting justification as left, right or centred does not change this peculiar spacing, neither does changing the font, or turning the machine off and on again.

Generally I use either the 'lower' or 'upper' title options with the default Gill Sans Bold and a font size of 80, bold, outlined and in white. This never used to happen and has only begun to occur since accepting the latest update.

Please can anyone help

Posted on May 5, 2019 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2019 8:40 AM

The screen shot helps.

Here's what I get using the Lower title with Gils Sans Bold at size 80, outlined.

It looks essentially the same as yours as far as I can tell.

The kerning issue seems to be something that cannot be adjusted. I was not aware that updating to iMovie 10.1.11 brought on the problem, as I hadn't been paying particular attention. One other poster recently had a similar problem with kerning. Here's a link to that thread, in the hope that something will be in there that will help you or at least define the problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250324330

In that thread we found that the wrap and kerning seemed to be defined by the default settings of the type when the title template is first opened for editing. Typing in the text using the default settings, and then changing font size afterwards, helped with the kerning.

Historically, I have always found that the kerning is tighter when you first type in the text, but spreads a little when the reset button is clicked to apply the changes. That might explain the tighter kerning in your second screen shot.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2019 8:40 AM in response to Lunns

The screen shot helps.

Here's what I get using the Lower title with Gils Sans Bold at size 80, outlined.

It looks essentially the same as yours as far as I can tell.

The kerning issue seems to be something that cannot be adjusted. I was not aware that updating to iMovie 10.1.11 brought on the problem, as I hadn't been paying particular attention. One other poster recently had a similar problem with kerning. Here's a link to that thread, in the hope that something will be in there that will help you or at least define the problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250324330

In that thread we found that the wrap and kerning seemed to be defined by the default settings of the type when the title template is first opened for editing. Typing in the text using the default settings, and then changing font size afterwards, helped with the kerning.

Historically, I have always found that the kerning is tighter when you first type in the text, but spreads a little when the reset button is clicked to apply the changes. That might explain the tighter kerning in your second screen shot.

-- Rich

Adjust Kerning in iMovie 10.1.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.