Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini bluetooth problems

I just bought a 2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Core i7.

I have a Bluetooth mouse and trackpad.

The mouse works fairly consistently, but the trackpad keep disconnecting and re-connecting randomly.

Is there any way to boost the Bluetooth power on the Mac Mini? Or...any other helpful suggestions?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 23, 2019 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2019 10:34 AM

You are probably experiencing the same problem lots of Mac mini owners have experienced since the advent of USB 3 devices. USB 3 is noisy and can interfere with BlueTooth and WiFi signals. Many of us have found that relocating USB devices and/or rerouting cables can solve our BT issues. In other cases we've found it necessary to replace cheap unshielded USB cables with shielded cables and even replace USB 3 hubs. I know of a few instances where users have removed their external hard drives from cheap plastic enclosures and put them into higher quality shielded cases.

As you work through your problem, as always, go with the easy and inexpensive fixes first. I moved my mini to the right side of my display and the hub to the left side (I'm a righty). I replaced two USB 3 cables and moved my external drives next to the USB hub. No more wonky BT or WiFi.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2019 10:34 AM in response to Colin Shapiro

You are probably experiencing the same problem lots of Mac mini owners have experienced since the advent of USB 3 devices. USB 3 is noisy and can interfere with BlueTooth and WiFi signals. Many of us have found that relocating USB devices and/or rerouting cables can solve our BT issues. In other cases we've found it necessary to replace cheap unshielded USB cables with shielded cables and even replace USB 3 hubs. I know of a few instances where users have removed their external hard drives from cheap plastic enclosures and put them into higher quality shielded cases.

As you work through your problem, as always, go with the easy and inexpensive fixes first. I moved my mini to the right side of my display and the hub to the left side (I'm a righty). I replaced two USB 3 cables and moved my external drives next to the USB hub. No more wonky BT or WiFi.

May 10, 2019 3:07 AM in response to Colin Shapiro

This has been the bane of my existence over the last few weeks.

What does seem to work, at least for me is using my 5Ghz WiFi channel instead of the 2.4Ghz.

I tried changing batteries, moving stuff around, taking things out of USB 3 ports...

The only thing that has seemed to work is switching which WiFi frequency the Mac Mini uses.

Clearly there's a crosstalk issue between the WiFi and Bluetooth in the Mac Mini.

May 10, 2019 4:00 AM in response to seankaye

If you turn off all your USB devices (including USB hubs but excluding keyboard and mouse if you aren't using wireless versions) and disconnect any device that is USB powered you should see your WiFi issues disappear. If not either you have a router issue or a defective mini. In almost every instance when I've been asked to help deal with this kind of problem as soon as I removed the USB devices WiFi and BlueTooth problems disappeared. Restoring 1 device at a time revealed the culprit(s).

May 11, 2019 3:26 AM in response to dwb

Clearly the problem is the fact that Bluetooth & Wi-Fi both use the 2.4 GHz frequency. I have a Wi-Fi router (non-Apple) in my studio that only transmits on 2.4 GHz. There's also an Apple Time Capsule in the house that uses both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz.

As a test, I switched off the non-Apple 2.4 GHz network and all my Bluetooth problems disappeared - mouse and trackpad both work perfectly now.

It seems evident that the Mac Mini can't cope with the nearby 2.4 GHz signals. My old 2008 Mac Pro never had these problems.

My solution for now is to leave the 2.4 GHz network switched off.

Mac Mini bluetooth problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.