Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth devices often got disconnected from Mac mini with M1 chip.

Hi, I got the latest mac mini with M1 chip, and it all started well until recently 2 of my major WFH devices, the logitech BT mouse without requiring a dongle and the aftershokz BT headphone, got disconnected from the mac mini unexpectedly very often. The logitech BT mouse sometimes is barely useable due to the disturbing disconnections.

My MacOS is running the latest Big Sur(11.5.2).

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue other than switching to a wired mouse or headphone or paying for the expensive apple accessories?

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 6:56 AM

Poorly shielded High Speed USB external Cables, Drives and Devices can cause Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

First try rearranging your setup so that all of the High Speed USB cables, drives and devices are in back of and to one side of the Mac Mini. Then if the Bluetooth does not improve, try disconnecting one cable at a time from the Mac Mini to see if that helps.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2021 6:56 AM in response to jumpyrabbit

Poorly shielded High Speed USB external Cables, Drives and Devices can cause Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

First try rearranging your setup so that all of the High Speed USB cables, drives and devices are in back of and to one side of the Mac Mini. Then if the Bluetooth does not improve, try disconnecting one cable at a time from the Mac Mini to see if that helps.

Sep 18, 2021 8:27 AM in response to jumpyrabbit

Bluetooth issues are common for many users of the Mac Mini. This is usually caused by interference from other hardware and/or poor cable shielding. Try to keep USB components away from the Mac as far as possible and try to move some of your cables around and see if this will fix the issue. I doubt 11.6 will fix this issue as Apple stated they addressed this with 11.3 but I see some still have issues. I have no bluetooth issues with my Mac Mini M1 running 11.5.2..

Sep 19, 2021 5:47 AM in response to jumpyrabbit

I have had issues both with Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Keyboard. My keyboard would have trouble registering characters on an application. Would have to disconnect and re-connect or switch to using a cable to connect keyboard. Magic Mouse has tracking issues, cursor would move erratically or not at all even fully charged. Bluetooth remains an issue on M1 Mac mini. I question the interference as being the problem but I guess it is a possibility. I used an Intel Mac mini with the same setup in same room with same Keyboard and mouse and never had any Bluetooth issues. This is why I tend to dismiss the interference as the problem. It could be a poor quality Bluetooth chip in Mac mini or its simply poorly shielded. I am considering going back to both wired keyboard and mouse for peace of mind.

Bluetooth devices often got disconnected from Mac mini with M1 chip.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.