Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install macOS/OS X

Hi,

I received a 13-inch Macbook Pro 2012 computer that had no operating system installed on it, however, when trying to use internet recovery to reinstall OS X Mountain Lion, I get an error that states:

Failed to verify InstallESD.dmg: hdiutil verify failed

Damaged resume data: /Volumes/mac/OS X Install Data/InstallESD.dmg.partial : Volumes/mac/OS X Install Data/Install ESD.chuncklist.partial

The installer keeps looping, attempting to install chunks until the error reappears. Trying to install other versions of macOS/OS X via bootable install drives (Mojave, El Capitan) fails for other reasons. This computer is useless right now, so any help is really appreciated. Thank You!

MacBook

Posted on Apr 23, 2019 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2019 7:52 PM

The hard drive cable in the MBPro 13" (mid-2012) non-Retina model is known to have an extremely high failure rate. This particular model is still supported by Apple so you could take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Store for service. There is a free repair program which I believe is still active for the replacement of the hard drive cable. An independent Apple Service Provider may be a better option as they may offer a third party SSD if the hard drive is found to be defective, plus they should replace the cable for you as well.

You could try running the Apple Diagnostic to see if it reports any issues.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2019 7:52 PM in response to medamine101

The hard drive cable in the MBPro 13" (mid-2012) non-Retina model is known to have an extremely high failure rate. This particular model is still supported by Apple so you could take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Store for service. There is a free repair program which I believe is still active for the replacement of the hard drive cable. An independent Apple Service Provider may be a better option as they may offer a third party SSD if the hard drive is found to be defective, plus they should replace the cable for you as well.

You could try running the Apple Diagnostic to see if it reports any issues.

Apr 25, 2019 10:15 AM in response to medamine101

medamine101 in response to HWTech
Went to the Apple store, the problem was indeed with the cable. Unfortunately, the free cable replacement no longer appears to be a thing, but at least the problem part is known. Thank you so much!

Sorry, it is limited to three years from date of purchase (first sale). For some reason I thought this had a longer term.

Unable to install macOS/OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.