Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external display flickers into black screen with cursor

I have a brand new MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

running macOS Mojave 10.14.4 (18E226) with two new DELL P2419HC monitors

The monitors support both HDMI and USB-C connections.

While im working one of my monitors will turn black, with only the cursor appears, Windows are still present and i can minimize and do actions ( without actually seeing the windows. the other monitor connected will still work as well as the macbook built in display.

locking and unlocking the mac will bring back the display.

its not consistent to a specific monitor or connection type i.e HDMI / USB-C

What i tried in order to debug:

1. reinstall the OS
  2. switch the USB-C ports ( between the two monitors ) - same display will still "blackout" on the other usb-c port , it changes between the two displays from time to time.
  3. reset NVRAM
  4. create a new user on the Mac
  5. reset power management controller
  6. replacing the monitors ( to same make and model )
  7. replacing all the cables

Thats it.

no clue on how to solve it, Apple phone support solutions didnt help ( above )

this dosnt happen on the built in mac, only on the external monitors and only on one of them ( sometimes left sometimes right )

help

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 24, 2019 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2019 7:30 AM

Have you tried different cable connection in an effort to trouble shoot.

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support
 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201177

Video Support—Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• One display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
    • Up to two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
    • Up to two displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
    • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports) - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2019 7:30 AM in response to macbookuser8

Have you tried different cable connection in an effort to trouble shoot.

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support
 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201177

Video Support—Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• One display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
    • Up to two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
    • Up to two displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
    • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports) - Apple Support

May 23, 2019 10:43 AM in response to macbookuser8

I have the same problem. Have a Dell U2515H display. The problem started the moment I installed Mojave. If I boot into El Capitan, no issues. I wait a few seconds, touch as few keys and click on the mouse a bit and the display comes back and begins to work fine.

All I can say with it is live with it. Dell does not provide any support for Apple products, they are very upfront about it. Apple couldn't care less. I feel lucky once the display comes back it works fine.

external display flickers into black screen with cursor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.