Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NEED TO EXTEND WIRELESS NETWORK AIRPORT EXTREME WITH A NON APPLE EXTENSION ROUTER

Hello!

I have a wireless network with an Airport Extreme Router (main station) and an Airport Express Station to extend the wireless signal.

I need to add another station to extend the Airport Extreme signal to another area (same network) but I just found out that there are no more Apple routers in the market.

Does another non-apple router can be added to this existing wireless network with the devices that I already have?

What device would be COMPATIBLE with what I have?

thank you

Posted on Apr 24, 2019 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2019 7:04 AM

Does another non-apple router can be added to this existing wireless network with the devices that I already have?

Apple designed their "extend" function as a proprietary feature that will only work with other Apple routers, so it is highly unlikely that another device by another manufacturer would be able to wirelessly extend the signal of an AirPort Extreme.

However, if you plan to extend the network by connecting the new extender back to the "main" AirPort using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection, then virtually any device from another manufacturer should be able to do what you want.

Over the years, I have tried a number of devices from Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, etc and none of them were compatible with an Apple router to wirelessly extend an Apple network. But, I suppose anything is possible and there might be a device that will do what you want. Stay tuned to see if another user who has a different experience might respond.

I'm not sure where you are located, but Apple routers are still available as new, refurbished and used device from Ebay and Amazon. You might want to check that out.

Finally, a note to mention that if you decide to try another Apple device, the new AirPort must receive a stronger signal from the "main" router than it does from another AirPort that might already be extending the network for things to work correctly. Another way to say the same thing........the new extender must be located closer to the "main" AirPort than the other AirPort Express that you have. The reason for this is that an extender must connect directly to the "main" AirPort.....not to another AirPort.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2019 7:04 AM in response to ohchuchana

Apple designed their "extend" function as a proprietary feature that will only work with other Apple routers, so it is highly unlikely that another device by another manufacturer would be able to wirelessly extend the signal of an AirPort Extreme.

However, if you plan to extend the network by connecting the new extender back to the "main" AirPort using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection, then virtually any device from another manufacturer should be able to do what you want.

Over the years, I have tried a number of devices from Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, etc and none of them were compatible with an Apple router to wirelessly extend an Apple network. But, I suppose anything is possible and there might be a device that will do what you want. Stay tuned to see if another user who has a different experience might respond.

I'm not sure where you are located, but Apple routers are still available as new, refurbished and used device from Ebay and Amazon. You might want to check that out.

Finally, a note to mention that if you decide to try another Apple device, the new AirPort must receive a stronger signal from the "main" router than it does from another AirPort that might already be extending the network for things to work correctly. Another way to say the same thing........the new extender must be located closer to the "main" AirPort than the other AirPort Express that you have. The reason for this is that an extender must connect directly to the "main" AirPort.....not to another AirPort.

Apr 24, 2019 4:03 PM in response to ohchuchana

I think you already got the info you wanted.. but I am Bob's

Stay tuned to see if another user who has a different experience might respond.

You cannot use Apple to extend another brand.. but you can use a universal wireless repeater to extend Apple wireless router.

I did use a typical cheap Chinese router / repeater to do this and it work as expected.

Let me add though I am completely in agreement with Bob.. don't do it.

Universal repeaters suffer from several bad issues which causes a lot of network headaches unless you really know what you are doing and even then I would say for data only. Nothing that requires interaction.

eg browsing internet is just data.. even streaming TV is data stream.. that will work.. albeit it could be a bit slow or very poor depending on distances etc. but talking over voip link is interactive and you will get terrible lags and dropouts. Playing games on internet server.. forget it.

And I would not say Apple to apple wireless is immune.. I had a setup of apple to apple wireless link.. best possible signal and speed.. terrible lag, latency and dropouts on regular basis.

Stick to wired as far as possible.

NEED TO EXTEND WIRELESS NETWORK AIRPORT EXTREME WITH A NON APPLE EXTENSION ROUTER

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.