Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High kernel_task CPU usage by no reason and macbook pro 2018 shuts down with drained battery

I have a recent 15’’ MacBook Pro from 2018 that has been working fine till the last months but recently I’m having random shutdowns with high Kernel_task CPU usage. I've seen other users reporting this too...

Usually happens while using Photoshop/Lightroom, where I notice that it slows down drastically, first just an app and then the entire computer. Upon inspecting the Activity Monitor I noticed that kernel_task was using upwards of +500% CPU usage.

I tried to close apps but eventually it completely froze and shut down.

When powering it back on, I noticed that the battery was at 0% despite having been plugged in for the past few hours. Weird!

I’m using my Macbook along with a 4K monitor from LG plugged with a UCB-C to HDMI cable + an Wacom Tablet + Logitech external mouse and keyboard. The power cable was plugged to an USB-C port of my HooToo dongle (not directly to a computer port).

Any help?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 25, 2019 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2019 6:51 PM

It was running very slowly and the fan was very loud. I think I also got a notice about the battery being almost empty. That was strange since it was plugged in, through the dongle, all day. When I removed the dongle and connected directly, it was fine.

It was a dongle I bought on Amazon. I replaced it with an Apple dongle and it works fine now.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2019 6:51 PM in response to bgarcia_pt

It was running very slowly and the fan was very loud. I think I also got a notice about the battery being almost empty. That was strange since it was plugged in, through the dongle, all day. When I removed the dongle and connected directly, it was fine.

It was a dongle I bought on Amazon. I replaced it with an Apple dongle and it works fine now.

High kernel_task CPU usage by no reason and macbook pro 2018 shuts down with drained battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.