Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text wrapping?

Apologies. I asked this question last year. But can't find the answer. Don't do a lot of text wrapping in FCPX. But I remember there was a solution.

I've got a series of titles that need to read like short paragraphs. I don't want to have to create my individual lines (as the text may change).

So I need a way to text wrap.

All ears,

Ben

Posted on Apr 26, 2019 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2019 2:27 PM

If you have Motion, create a new Title project. Then, just save it as Basic Paragraph or something like that.

The initial default text in a startup Title project is in Paragraph Layout format. It's set up as a lower third, so if you're familiar enough with Motion, you can customize the starting position.

The text in FCPX will be fully editable, including setting margins and tabs (and length, etc. although text will go on "forever" regardless of the length setting.)

If you don't have Motion, you can download a "basic text" title in paragraph layout format here:

http://sight-creations.com/fxexchange/Paragraph%20BasicNoBG.zip

The background (Title Background) has been turned off so that you can apply opacity fades to the title without affecting the storyline media.

If you don't know about the Ruler, and don't see one when you apply the title and double click on the text in the *viewer*, there is a small icon in the upper right corner of the viewer that will toggle the ruler. (It should be on by default.)

HTH

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2019 2:27 PM in response to Ben Low

If you have Motion, create a new Title project. Then, just save it as Basic Paragraph or something like that.

The initial default text in a startup Title project is in Paragraph Layout format. It's set up as a lower third, so if you're familiar enough with Motion, you can customize the starting position.

The text in FCPX will be fully editable, including setting margins and tabs (and length, etc. although text will go on "forever" regardless of the length setting.)

If you don't have Motion, you can download a "basic text" title in paragraph layout format here:

http://sight-creations.com/fxexchange/Paragraph%20BasicNoBG.zip

The background (Title Background) has been turned off so that you can apply opacity fades to the title without affecting the storyline media.

If you don't know about the Ruler, and don't see one when you apply the title and double click on the text in the *viewer*, there is a small icon in the upper right corner of the viewer that will toggle the ruler. (It should be on by default.)

HTH

Apr 28, 2019 3:22 PM in response to Ben Low

It should go in

~/Users/<yourUserName>/Movies/Motion Templates/Titles/<add Category>/<entire Paragraph Basic No BG folder>

If you've never installed new templates and have to create Motion Templates — right click on the created folder and Get Info. In Name & Extension, add: .localized

Do the same for Titles when you create that folder. All other folders below this level do not need to be localized.

Apr 29, 2019 6:33 AM in response to Ben Low

Ben,

Here some other free ones with some additional options. Basically they are thought for captions/subtitles, but you can use it for other text as well. The dmg contains an installer.

TexUp Motion Templates download:

http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/TitleExchange/Plugins/TextUp_2018.dmg

TextUp usage:

http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/TitleExchange/XTMojave/TextUp_Usage.pdf

Apr 29, 2019 6:42 AM in response to spherico

Fantab Sperico,

I will try them out later today. This is terrific. I'm trying to make a promo for a scientific experiment, but I don't want to use a voice-over or narration. I want to build it with lines of text (hooks) coming in and out ... with a background of the spectacularly visual experiment unfolding. Very simple. These look like they will be a great help.

Very much appreciated, thank you!

Ben

Text wrapping?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.