Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the default location of the desktop and documents folders in Mojave from iCloud to the hard drive?

This new iMac is impressive. It has a 1TB hard drive. Every time I save a file, the default location for the file is the desktop, which takes up iCloud space, not hard drive space. The default Documents folder is also on iCloud. I understand that the goal is to enable "hand off" between devices, but I prefer to save my documents on my capacious hard drive and not clutter up my iCloud storage. How do I change this behavior?

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 26, 2019 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2019 3:04 PM

See the "Turn off Desktop and Documents" section of Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

and be sure to read the fine print in that section as well.

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 26, 2019 3:33 PM in response to ColPanik

ColPanik wrote:

This new iMac is impressive. It has a 1TB hard drive. Every time I save a file, the default location for the file is the desktop, which takes up iCloud space, not hard drive space. The default Documents folder is also on iCloud. I understand that the goal is to enable "hand off" between devices, but I prefer to save my documents on my capacious hard drive and not clutter up my iCloud storage. How do I change this behavior?

How to Restore Your Desktop and Documents After Disabling iCloud ...

How do I change the default location of the desktop and documents folders in Mojave from iCloud to the hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.