Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive Question

I am a new Mac OS Mojave and iCloud user and am confused about the Desktop and Documents Folders option in the iCloud System Preference. Currently I have a small number of documents in my Documents folder and Desktop on my new iMac, and they are on iCloud Drive, since that option is checked.

I am going to me moving over my Documents folder from my old Mac, but before I do, I have a question:

Is it possible to not have ALL docs in Documents Folder go to iCloud Drive, but just certain docs that I may need to access remotely?

Also, when I uncheck the Desktop and Documents Folders option I get this warning message:

"If you continue, items will be removed from the Desktop and Documents Folders on this Mac and will remain in iCloud Drive. New items added to your Desktop and Documents Folders on this Mac will no longer be stored in iCloud Drive."

How can I turn off Desktop and Documents Folders iCloud Drive preference option and keep the documents from being removed from my Mac?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 9:17 PM

Here is an article that shows how to save the documents to your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206985

Best of luck

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 4, 2019 9:42 PM in response to tkadell

If you are going to uncheck the Desktop & Documents folder option, move any items that are on the Desktop and any items

in the Documents folder to another location, then uncheck the Desktop & Documents folder option, then you can move them back to their original locations. Make a full back up of your Mac first so if anything were to happen you can restore those items.

When you turn on iCloud even with Desktop & Documents folder turned off you will see those folders, they will be empty but you will be able to choose which items to place there. Any items you move to the iCloud whether it may be to the Desktop & Documents folders or another location will be removed from the original location on your Mac. However they really only have been moved to another 'hidden' location. If you want to see this location, click on Go in the Finder menu then on Go To Folder, enter this text. ~/Library/Mobile Documents then press Go. A new Finder window will open with the folder highlighted.

Sep 4, 2019 10:07 PM in response to tkadell

So another location would be outwith Desktop and Documents. To an external drive or USB stick, or if you wanted them kept on your Mac then you can make a folder within your Users/<Home> folder, if you open a Finder window, click on the House icon in the Sidebar you should see the stock folders, Desktop, Documents, Movies, Pictures etc you can add another folder here, name it as you like, then move the items you want there.

iCloud Drive Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.