Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did I duplicate systemic native apps? If so, how to delete them?

In applications I dragged the utilities apps out of the Utilities folder. I wanted to view them individually and not clustered within a folder. I thought the folder would then be emptied of them and I could delete the folder. Now I think I have duplicated the utilities apps which are now listed individually among the other apps. The original apps are still in the Utility Folder. The system won't let me delete either the duplicates or the Utilities folder. Can't drag to Trash or 'Remove to Trash'. Pop-up window says they're needed for the OS. How can I remove the Utilities Folder with apps still inside? I would still like apps individually listed within Applications. I'm so confused as to why the apps weren't removed from the folder when I dragged them outside of the folder. Is there anything to be done? Thank you.

MacBook

Posted on Apr 27, 2019 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2019 7:28 PM

Applications that are installed as part of the operating system should not be deleted nor their location changed. The OS update process automatically looks for them in the default assigned spot. I've not come across this specific problem, so I am not sure if this will work, but in any case, it should not do any harm. Simply go to recovery (press Command + R keys while booting up or restarting) and choose to reinstall the OS. If that does not work, you may need to erase your drive and then reinstall (make a backup first since you will lose everything).

As for making those apps quicker/easier to access, simply drag the few you may need to use into the dock for a one-click access (but wait with that until you've reinstalled the OS). You can do this with any app (I have more than 60 in my dock).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2019 7:28 PM in response to stepintime

Applications that are installed as part of the operating system should not be deleted nor their location changed. The OS update process automatically looks for them in the default assigned spot. I've not come across this specific problem, so I am not sure if this will work, but in any case, it should not do any harm. Simply go to recovery (press Command + R keys while booting up or restarting) and choose to reinstall the OS. If that does not work, you may need to erase your drive and then reinstall (make a backup first since you will lose everything).

As for making those apps quicker/easier to access, simply drag the few you may need to use into the dock for a one-click access (but wait with that until you've reinstalled the OS). You can do this with any app (I have more than 60 in my dock).

Apr 28, 2019 8:06 AM in response to babowa

Thank you for this. Self-taught and not a native tech talent, I'm learning how much I don't know and I have difficulty taking it all in. I got lost. I finally got the concept of Apple's alias creation. I didn't duplicate/clone a true app as I thought. I was able to delete the aliases after a time. Your articulate and thoughtful solutions are very helpful to me in furthering my understanding this OS. I appreciate your advice very much. Will use it for future reference. I will use your useful suggestion of adding more to the dock. Thank you for all.

Apr 28, 2019 8:51 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for your consideration and time. I'm still learning this OS and not a native tech talent. Self-taught by necessity, I struggle alone with all thing tech. I often get lost. I finally understand Apple's Alias concept. It's important and a relief to me. I honestly feared that I duplicated/cloned true apps. Using the same user account, I don't know why, initially, the OS wouldn't let me delete the Aliases in the Application Folder. That's when I started to freak, thinking I had duplicate apps. After some time, I could delete the Aliases in the Application Folder. I still don't know what occurred. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. It does help me further in knowing what I can do and can't do with my Macbook. Thank you.

Did I duplicate systemic native apps? If so, how to delete them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.