Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS App Mail

After upgrading to 10.14.4, App Mail, is having problems connecting to my gmail account with login failures, time outs in finding the server and extremely long times to receive or send mail. These problems did not happen on earlier releases. I do not have this problem on my iPhone or iPad. I have spent 2 weeks investigating the problem and changing Gmail account settings but without any results. I would appreciate any feedback. At this point, I can no longer use App Mail reliably and have resorted to using Google Chrome Gmail app. I have also experienced the App Mail crashing 4 times since upgrading. This has never happened before. I have also resorted to restarted the MacBook Pro with limited success.

Posted on Apr 28, 2019 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2019 11:53 AM

Whew, doesn't sound good. :(

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

If that doesn't help...

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2019 11:53 AM in response to zymurgy101

Whew, doesn't sound good. :(

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

If that doesn't help...

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

May 28, 2019 11:57 AM in response to BDAqua

I took your suggestion and used EtreCheck and discovered I had contacted the Adobe Flash Player download malware. Besides affecting MAC Mail, this malware was effecting Safari causing it to hang loading web pages. The only way to get Safari to work again was to restart my MacBook Pro. Anyway, after removing all pieces of the malware, the performance of both Mac Mail and Safari have improved immediately. I have not noticed any further occurrences. It is funny that the Adobe Flash Player download malware is not widely known or publicized more. Thank you for your assistance and suggestion of the EtreCheck software.

macOS App Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.