Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

gmail not working

A couple weeks ago Gmail suddenly stopped working for me in Mail 11.5 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

I keep getting an error message see attached pic

i tried a different mail client, see attached pic

i tried deleting my security certificates, and that didnt work so i restored them from time machine backup. I've tried changing the default browser and deleted one of my gmail accounts but i cant add it back in. I can log in just fine through the mail app because i get alerts from Google on my phone that someone logged in. But no mail. I can log into Gmail on my browser too. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 9:19 AM

Get rid of the VPN as much as you can.

Maybe aLocation without VPN as a test...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2022 9:19 AM in response to dt_codernewb

Get rid of the VPN as much as you can.

Maybe aLocation without VPN as a test...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Oct 15, 2022 1:32 PM in response to dt_codernewb

Do you see & can send Mail when using a Browser?

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

Go on the Apple certificate page:

Apple PKI - Apple

Download the Apple Intermediate Certificates

Apple IST CA 2 - G1 Certificate (direct download)

Double click the downloaded certificate to install it in Keychain Access.

You should see it now, in login certificates.

How I solved the Safari 13 and High Sierr… - Apple Community

Thanks to Roger Wilmut1…

how to renew certificates expired on 2011… - Apple Community

how to renew certificates expired on 2011… - Apple Community

DST Root CA X3 Certificate Expiration Problems and Fix - The Tech Journal (stephenwagner.com)

Or it may just need an App Password separate from the gMail password

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

Apple Mail won't sign in to Google account - Apple Community

Oct 16, 2022 8:33 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello and thank you for your speedy reply.

I installed the Apple certificate you recommended, Apple IST CA 2 - G1 Certificate, i could not install it by double-click, i had to drag and drop it into the Keychain logins folder. no change.

Yes im running a VPN but not for getting my mail, only for certain sites. No i was not running an anti-virus although i am now just to be on the safe side. No to the cleaning apps.

All of the testing ive done since my original message has been trying to setup a new Gmail account in Mail (because i deleted the old one that wasnt working - it suddenly went offline). I turned on the Google 2FA, and generated an app password and as far as google is concerned - I AM LOGGED IN AND MY MAC DEVICE HAS ACCESS TO GMAIL.

Here is the continued error i get when trying to setup an account or take my existing Mail > Gmail accounts online :

I have also been getting a lot of "connection insecure" warnings on my browser like this one :

started about the same time, i still think security certificates

gmail not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.