Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is “Local items” Keychain

I keep getting requests to open Local Items Keychain and I have no idea what the password is. Why is this different from login Keychain?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2019 10:37 AM

Have you tried changing your user password in System Preferences/Users & Groups? That should change the keychain password to be the same as your new user password.

If you need to update your keychain password on Mac - Apple Support

10 replies

Apr 30, 2019 11:46 AM in response to barbaraok

OK, got on my Mac notebook (instead of the iPad) and with AdBlocker in place, now I can see the whole article and have saved the directions. So I just trash a file and everything is good? I really am apprehensive about doing that because I've been told to do that before and have ended up with problems. Guess it is time to make sure I have every password written down somewhere? so when I'm asked I'll have something to type in - - or do you just say "forgot password" and do a new one?

May 7, 2019 8:02 PM in response to Eric Root

Well that didn't work. Followed the instructions, sure enough after restart no questioning about local keychain, etc. Went to Safari and it wanted the password - rejected the old, so typed in the current one. Yes that work - EXCEPT it said there were no passwords!

Replaced what was newly created with the original folder (from the trash) and while I still have to type in the old password, at least the passwords for sites are there. So I'm back to my original problem of the local keychain wants the old login password and that is also what Safari uses. I have a feeling it is because I don't understand how this is all suppose to work - - I'm suppose to have iCloud Keychain and yet it is only the Notebook that has it them. They are not available on my iPhone or iPad unless I enter them on each device. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

What is “Local items” Keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.