Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water damage to iphone SE--Seems to be working except for power button...should I bother repairing?

Very briefly dropped phone into water, fished it out and dried it off, put in rice overnight.

Seems to work now, except that the power button doesn't work; doesn't power down, or darken the screen. If I leave it in low power mode, it automatically dims the screen, so that saves the battery. Otherwise...seems to be ok.

Is it worth taking it in for repair? It's over 2 years old and I love the small size, though the battery has been showing signs of decreased hold.

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 4:30 PM

Blackfish1 wrote:

Is it worth taking it in for repair?

Absolutely! You would take the iPhone to an Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service Center for an assessment, not necessarily a repair. They would tell you how best to proceed.

Your iPhone is almost certainly damaged. You should learn the severity.

Water and other liquid damage to iPhone or iPod isn't covered by warranty - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2019 4:30 PM in response to Blackfish1

Blackfish1 wrote:

Is it worth taking it in for repair?

Absolutely! You would take the iPhone to an Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service Center for an assessment, not necessarily a repair. They would tell you how best to proceed.

Your iPhone is almost certainly damaged. You should learn the severity.

Water and other liquid damage to iPhone or iPod isn't covered by warranty - Apple Support

Apr 30, 2019 5:05 PM in response to Blackfish1

Rice overnight is a placebo; it does nothing. Rice for a week with the power off might help, but not because of the rice; because you gave it a week to dry out. The rice treatment is a myth. Silca Gel has a slight chance of helping, but only if it is used immediately and allowed to work for days. Turn the phone off and let it dry for several days. Note that water damage is progressive; it can continue to corrode the phone over days, weeks or months. So even if the phone works now it may not continue to work. So the best option is to follow sberman's advice. Make an appointment-->Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Water damage to iphone SE--Seems to be working except for power button...should I bother repairing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.