Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 Pro installing, Mojave, Mac mini 2012, Windows Setup, Where do You Want to Install Windows

HELP!

First, Mojave is installed on a 1TB SSD (from scratch after an Erase)

I'm trying to install Windows 10 Pro on a second Erased 500GB SSD

I got through the .iso and Boot Camp process to WinInstall USB thumb drive ... entered my Product Key for Win 10 Pro ... got to Drive Set Up> Where Do You Want to Install Windows

and totally confused ... ANYONE KNOW THE EXACT STEP TO MAKE HERE?

which Drive # and Partition # do I install Windows 10 Pro on?

I've highlighted each one, no clue what I'm doing

Nothing I tried works (and I started over at least 6 times and just about ready to give up)

I've tried using Mojave Disk Utility to format the 500GB SSD to NTFS but didn't see that option

you would think Boot Camp would format the drive correctly, but apparently not

Posted on May 1, 2019 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2019 2:04 PM

See the Rebuild MBR section of El Capitan has deleted my bootcamp window… - Apple Community. You will need to use 2 3 4 in step 6 as shown for Sierra and older, but 2 3 for an APFS disk. which has no Recovery HD partition.

Similar questions

9 replies

May 2, 2019 7:51 AM in response to Loner T

THANK YOU FOR NAILING THE INSTALL ISSUE DOWN FOR ME!

That gem of information cost me at least six hours fiddling around with Boot camp and Windows installers that were broken from the start - and an Erase-start-from-scratch pristine install that I now have to Erase and Restore (add a couple more hours for that)

I am marking this Solved and looking for more specific tutorials ... will add a link here if I can find something SIMPLE to figure it out

Loner T wrote:

The 2012 Mini is a preUEFI Mac, and requires a MBR to install Windows. Mojave defaults to an EFI installation, which causes the specific error you see. You can create a MBR manually using GPT FDisk.

May 2, 2019 2:59 PM in response to Loner T

thank you again

i've reviewed yours and a couple other very simple and direct outlines for this task, but i'm afraid they are well beyond my skill sets to follow (at least the time i want to spend getting it to work and trying to keep it working)

i've already Erased and Restored my full working install, gave up on trying to install Windows 10 on my Mac mini 2012, and found another use for the new SSD - anyone want to buy a Windows 10 Pro key cheap (kidding) it will probably go in the trash unused like the Windows Vista OS i bought for my Mac Pro years ago

some questions and answers

should i install Windows 10 on my pre 2013 Mac regardless if Apple says it is compatible - no (way too much effort unless you are some kind of a computer scientist and can hack the installer, IMHO)

why won't Windows 10 install on my 2012 Mac - short answer is Boot Camp does not work (it makes a bad assumption and makes the process nearly impossible)

is there a fix or solution to this Windows 10 vs Mac incompatibility problem on pre 2013 Apple hardware - yes (it is contained on Loner T's posts) though there does not seem to be an easy workaround

May 5, 2019 6:47 PM in response to HalloNggelender

HalloNggelender

ya, i would love to get Windows 10 Pro installed on a second internal SSD on my 21012 Mac mini (a pre 2013 machine, a preUEFI Mac that apparently requires a MBR to install Windows)

if you got a simple 1+2 punch to resolve the Boot Camp problem with setting up the installation - i'm all ears

my screen shots show i get to the "where do you want to install Windows" and i can't format the destination volume

don't know how to create a MBR manually using GPT FDisk to get the installer functioning on my so called ancient 2012 hardware, but apparently it is possible...

PS: IS THAT CS2 YOU'RE RUNNING IN WINDOWS 10?

Windows 10 Pro installing, Mojave, Mac mini 2012, Windows Setup, Where do You Want to Install Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.