Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought an Apple Watch off someone and it won’t let me activate it as the watch is already linked to the previous owners device/phone.

Hi, I’ve recently bought an Apple Watch off someone and it won’t let me activate it as the watch is already linked to the previous owners device/phone.

it says that the previous owner needs to remove the device for their account but the problem is I don’t have any contact details or no means at all to contact the previous owner. Is there any other way around this? I feel really gutted as this was a present for my daughters birthday which is today and she can’t even use it.

many thanks for any help at all!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 2, 2019 3:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2019 5:46 AM

The previous own needs to follow these instructions

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208855

3 replies

May 2, 2019 8:44 AM in response to Leat257

If you are trying to activate an  Watch and it is asking for a previous owners Apple ID and password, you have encountered the Activation Lock. This is a security feature that prevents thieves from setting up and using a stolen  Watch. You have no alternative. You must contact the previous owner to get permission to use the device. If you cannot contact the previous owner return the device to where you bought it and demand a refund. You will never be able to activate the device and no one can help you do it.

Bought an Apple Watch off someone and it won’t let me activate it as the watch is already linked to the previous owners device/phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.