Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hard drive setting 'owners disabled'

What is the correct setting for 'owners' ? Does it matter? I would think so, since there is a choice to be made. 'Disabled' seems to be the default setting. But I can't seem to find any information or explanation about it!

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 3, 2019 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2019 8:39 AM

That is the default setting for external drives. For external drives, the assumption is that you will move them around, because they are external. If permissions were enabled, then that would be a royal hassle. Many files would be inaccessible. You would have to reconnect the drive to the original machine where you created the file and change the permissions just on that file. Repeat for all files.

The only time when you want permissions enabled for an external drive is when you are booting from that drive or you are using Time Machine. When it makes a difference, Apple support documents will specifically tell you to ensure it is set one way or another:

Time Machine: How to transfer backups from a current backup drive to a new backup drive - Apple Support

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Move your iMovie for Mac library - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2019 8:39 AM in response to mc72scott

That is the default setting for external drives. For external drives, the assumption is that you will move them around, because they are external. If permissions were enabled, then that would be a royal hassle. Many files would be inaccessible. You would have to reconnect the drive to the original machine where you created the file and change the permissions just on that file. Repeat for all files.

The only time when you want permissions enabled for an external drive is when you are booting from that drive or you are using Time Machine. When it makes a difference, Apple support documents will specifically tell you to ensure it is set one way or another:

Time Machine: How to transfer backups from a current backup drive to a new backup drive - Apple Support

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Move your iMovie for Mac library - Apple Support

May 3, 2019 8:18 AM in response to macjack

It's below that box with name and privilege.

There is a box with +, -, and a wheel.

Then under it is a faded box with a check that states Ignore ownership on this volume at the very bottom.

Also shows up in disk utilities. Lower box - right side - second down is Owners;

On my main drive it is enabled.

On my external LaCie it is disabled. APFS format

On my external MyBook also disabled. Mac OS Extended. I was doing time machine on this one.

May 3, 2019 8:27 AM in response to mc72scott

Clarify;

Also shows up in disk utilities. Lower box - right side - second down is Owners;

On my main drive it is enabled.

On my external LaCie it is disabled. APFS format

On my external MyBook also disabled. Mac OS Extended. I was doing time machine on this one.

new

Under the Sharing & permissions

My main drive; there is no check marked box under permissions. It's just not there.

My two external drives have the box & check to Ignore ownership on this volume

hard drive setting 'owners disabled'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.