Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDD won’t allow me to format

When I go to disk utility window it shows “owners” as disabled. When I try to erase easystore in order to format, I choose exFAT to allow me to use it on Mac or windows. Once I click erase I get an error:

unmounting disk

the volume “easystore” on disk3s1 couldn’t be unlimited because it is in use by process 1622 (disk images -helper)

what do I do to fix it

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 5:43 PM

Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drives appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive to erase as GUID partition and exFAT. Make sure to unmount all volumes on that drive (it is Ok to force unmount them if necessary since you are erasing the drive anyway).

If you still have the problem, try rebooting the Mac and trying again. If that does not help, then try it while booted into Safe Mode. If that fails, then try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to try again.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2022 5:43 PM in response to TexasNavySailor

Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drives appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive to erase as GUID partition and exFAT. Make sure to unmount all volumes on that drive (it is Ok to force unmount them if necessary since you are erasing the drive anyway).

If you still have the problem, try rebooting the Mac and trying again. If that does not help, then try it while booted into Safe Mode. If that fails, then try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to try again.

HDD won’t allow me to format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.