Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine failing with Mojave

I have been having a problem with Mojave and doing Time Machine backups more than once per day to the external time machine drive.  

Here is what I have already done: 

1. Go to the Apple menu bar and select Time Preferences
  2. Then choose Time Machine > Turn OFF
  3. Then go to Macintosh HD and select Library > Preferences
  4. In the Preferences folder, delete the file ‘com.apple.TimeMachine.plist’
  5. Now, select Time Preferences and open Time Machine again
  6. Choose an external drive as a target to save Time Machine backup and start the backup process
  7. Added my backup drive to the do not index for spotlight
  8. Rebuilt my spotlight index.
  9. Rebooted into recovery and Ran first aid on my main disk 
  10. Ran first aid on my backup disk

Sometimes I can get the backup to run manually.  But typically, I only get a backup when the computer is completely idle overnight. 

This seems like an Apple problem considering that this has been going on since Apple introduced APFS in High Sierra.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 3, 2019 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2019 11:28 PM

I have seen a few reports of what you're describing. They were resolved either by "reconnecting" the TM backup disk (described below), by reinstalling macOS, or by eliminating various and sundry non-Apple "anti-virus" products which should never have been installed to begin with.

Here is one such report for your review: time machine stopped working. That example is fairly comprehensive and addressed the usual causes.

Another one: Upgraded to Sierra and now Time Machine won't backup

Once again please stop deleting things. It's not helping.

---

The following technique can be used to "reconnect" to the backup disk. It will not affect the existing backup history in any way.

Open Time Machine's Preferences and de-select the Back Up Automatically checkbox. Make sure no backups are in progress, otherwise you should wait for it to finish or terminate.

If the backup disk is directly connected to the Mac, disconnect it: drag its icon to the Trash, wait for it to disappear from the Desktop, and then physically disconnect it from the Mac.

If its icon does not appear on the Desktop, select External Disks in the Finder menu > Preferences... > General. You can de-select it later.

Then, click the "Select Disk..." button, select the backup disk, then Remove Disk, then Stop Using This Disk.

• If you designated more than one backup destination, the "Select Disk..." button is replaced by an "Add or Remove Backup Disk..." option. You have to scroll through the list of backup disks for that option to become visible.

This will not affect any existing backups.

Reconnect the backup disk to the Mac, power it on if required, and wait for its icon to appear on the Desktop.

Then, Select Disk... again in Time Machine's Preferences. Re-select the same one under Available Disks, then Use Disk. If the backup is on a network (TC or AEBS), you will be prompted for the password you provided for that disk in AirPort Utility.

"Waiting to complete first backup" will appear, which means it won't do anything until the next scheduled backup. Despite the implication of that message, it does not mean it needs to create a completely new backup, as if it's creating a brand new one. Your existing backups will still be available.

If you don't want to wait that long, select Back Up Now.

A Notification may appear if your source volume is encrypted and the backup volume is not. That's normal.

Re-select Back Up Automatically. The "Preparing Backup..." status message will remain for a long time. Eventually, "Backing up xxx of yyy" will appear, but those values will not be accurate, nor will the "Estimated time remaining" in Time Machine's Preferences. Just ignore it. It may take a few hours even if your Mac is not allowed to sleep. Time Machine will also pause or become slow if you use your Mac for tasks it considers a higher priority.

---

If the above does not fix things then reinstalling macOS is justified: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

For fundamental troubleshooting references please read If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support and Time Machine troubleshooting - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2019 11:28 PM in response to BryanLT

I have seen a few reports of what you're describing. They were resolved either by "reconnecting" the TM backup disk (described below), by reinstalling macOS, or by eliminating various and sundry non-Apple "anti-virus" products which should never have been installed to begin with.

Here is one such report for your review: time machine stopped working. That example is fairly comprehensive and addressed the usual causes.

Another one: Upgraded to Sierra and now Time Machine won't backup

Once again please stop deleting things. It's not helping.

---

The following technique can be used to "reconnect" to the backup disk. It will not affect the existing backup history in any way.

Open Time Machine's Preferences and de-select the Back Up Automatically checkbox. Make sure no backups are in progress, otherwise you should wait for it to finish or terminate.

If the backup disk is directly connected to the Mac, disconnect it: drag its icon to the Trash, wait for it to disappear from the Desktop, and then physically disconnect it from the Mac.

If its icon does not appear on the Desktop, select External Disks in the Finder menu > Preferences... > General. You can de-select it later.

Then, click the "Select Disk..." button, select the backup disk, then Remove Disk, then Stop Using This Disk.

• If you designated more than one backup destination, the "Select Disk..." button is replaced by an "Add or Remove Backup Disk..." option. You have to scroll through the list of backup disks for that option to become visible.

This will not affect any existing backups.

Reconnect the backup disk to the Mac, power it on if required, and wait for its icon to appear on the Desktop.

Then, Select Disk... again in Time Machine's Preferences. Re-select the same one under Available Disks, then Use Disk. If the backup is on a network (TC or AEBS), you will be prompted for the password you provided for that disk in AirPort Utility.

"Waiting to complete first backup" will appear, which means it won't do anything until the next scheduled backup. Despite the implication of that message, it does not mean it needs to create a completely new backup, as if it's creating a brand new one. Your existing backups will still be available.

If you don't want to wait that long, select Back Up Now.

A Notification may appear if your source volume is encrypted and the backup volume is not. That's normal.

Re-select Back Up Automatically. The "Preparing Backup..." status message will remain for a long time. Eventually, "Backing up xxx of yyy" will appear, but those values will not be accurate, nor will the "Estimated time remaining" in Time Machine's Preferences. Just ignore it. It may take a few hours even if your Mac is not allowed to sleep. Time Machine will also pause or become slow if you use your Mac for tasks it considers a higher priority.

---

If the above does not fix things then reinstalling macOS is justified: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

For fundamental troubleshooting references please read If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support and Time Machine troubleshooting - Apple Support

May 3, 2019 5:24 PM in response to John Galt

I already went through that link. I also moved to a different backup disk, to start completely fresh. Deleted all local snapshots in case there was a corruption there. And still time machine backups to the external disk are running once per day typically overnight or early in the morning. Occasionally, I can get a backup to run manually. And almost always the log looks like the one I attached above.

Time machine failing with Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.