Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting existing device to iTunes

I had this iPad for a while but never used it with iTunes. Now I want to do that though. Whenever I connect to iTunes on my computer it asks whether I want to set it up as a new iPad or restore from a previous backup. on the backups dropdown it does not show a previous backup but only a different iPad (which is part of family sharing). I definitely do not want either, but simply want start using it the way it is. Seems I cannot figure out how to do this

iPad mini 4, iOS 12

Posted on May 4, 2019 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2019 3:48 PM

You mention a previous iPad has been backed up in this iTunes version, but that iPad is part of Family Sharing.

Before you do anything, you should understand that mixing Apple IDs is a very bad idea. If there's anything at all in this iTunes version that is not associated with your unique (used by exactly one person) Apple ID, you should not proceed. Instead, what you should do is establish a new user account on the computer with a unique username/password that is to be used by your Apple ID and only your Apple ID. Further, there should be nothing at all in the iTunes Library owned by any Apple ID other than yours. Any use of someone else's Apple ID is fine - as long as it is done under the auspices of Family Sharing.

Once this is done, then yes, you may use your iPad with iTunes. choose the "set up as new" option if you continue to see the two options shown, as that will not erase your iPad.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2019 3:48 PM in response to otto525

You mention a previous iPad has been backed up in this iTunes version, but that iPad is part of Family Sharing.

Before you do anything, you should understand that mixing Apple IDs is a very bad idea. If there's anything at all in this iTunes version that is not associated with your unique (used by exactly one person) Apple ID, you should not proceed. Instead, what you should do is establish a new user account on the computer with a unique username/password that is to be used by your Apple ID and only your Apple ID. Further, there should be nothing at all in the iTunes Library owned by any Apple ID other than yours. Any use of someone else's Apple ID is fine - as long as it is done under the auspices of Family Sharing.

Once this is done, then yes, you may use your iPad with iTunes. choose the "set up as new" option if you continue to see the two options shown, as that will not erase your iPad.

connecting existing device to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.