Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook 12 inch vibrating while charging.

I have never noticed this before. After plugging in my computer, I lightly ran my fingers over the casing to remove some dust, and felt a strange vibrating sensation.

This vibration is only on the top of the case, not on the bottom.

It happens when I touch the outside of the monitor side of the case, when the computer is both open or closed.

If I have thin cover of cloth between my fingers and the aluminum I do not feel the vibration.

It is as if it is a haptic sensation.

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 5, 2019 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2019 5:48 PM

You have an electrical fault somewhere. Try plugging the laptop into another electrical outlet or circuit. If it still occurs, try plugging the laptop in at another location (i.e. another building) to see if it is Ok. If it works fine elsewhere, then you need to have an electrician check out the wiring in your home or the location where this issue happens. Besides possibly damaging your electronics, it could also pose a safety hazard if not resolved.

If the issue follows the laptop & power adapter, then try another power adapter or take the laptop AND power adapter to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be checked out.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2019 5:48 PM in response to sandrafromhonolulu

You have an electrical fault somewhere. Try plugging the laptop into another electrical outlet or circuit. If it still occurs, try plugging the laptop in at another location (i.e. another building) to see if it is Ok. If it works fine elsewhere, then you need to have an electrician check out the wiring in your home or the location where this issue happens. Besides possibly damaging your electronics, it could also pose a safety hazard if not resolved.

If the issue follows the laptop & power adapter, then try another power adapter or take the laptop AND power adapter to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be checked out.

May 5, 2019 10:18 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks, I have done some of those things already.I used different wires, different power cubes, and different surge protectors.. AFter reading your reply I plugged my power strip into a different outlet, and that fixed it worked. I will let the landlord know about the issue the outlet. I think it has something to do with the work that is being done on one of the nearby flats. Thanks for your fast reply!.

MacBook 12 inch vibrating while charging.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.