Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"A new version of Java is available!" - Is this Official

I just had this popup, "pop up" on my screen.

Is it an official update? Should I install it? I just want to know if it is OK to install it, or if it is anything of suspicion?

I'll back it up with Time Machine, most certainly, prior to the install.

ThePopup Message:

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 6, 2019 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2019 6:10 PM

TheLittles wrote:
Is this the link to download it?: https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Chatted with an Apple Rep. It was informed that "Yes. That is the link." Going into System Preferences, I saw that Java did not reside, so I must have removed it. So, we uninstalled Java, then reinstalled Java anew.

[Edited by Moderator]

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2019 6:10 PM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:
Is this the link to download it?: https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Chatted with an Apple Rep. It was informed that "Yes. That is the link." Going into System Preferences, I saw that Java did not reside, so I must have removed it. So, we uninstalled Java, then reinstalled Java anew.

[Edited by Moderator]

May 7, 2019 3:35 AM in response to TheLittles

The "current" version of Java is only a web applet plugin. The System Preference was for the JDK only. Since the new version does not install the JDK, there isn't a prefpane for it. Any prefpane you add will do nothing to the web applet plugin.

Instead of mistyping a command that might delete something you don't want to delete, just go to those folders and delete the folders in the Finder.

May 7, 2019 8:08 AM in response to Barney-15E

I got a message on that site saying the Java isn’t used by Safari V. 12 and that something else is being used?

I got the message, checked on if it was accurate, uninstalled Java by mistake, and then had to reinstall it.

With HTML:

There’s no anchor of the site that I could find to drop down to Mac OS version of Java.

Whether there’s pane in the page or no pane, I guess I could have said location (that’s the location in the screenshot).

May 7, 2019 8:28 AM in response to Barney-15E

Why was the cache Hidden: Rather than unhide the cache files, (using the Key combination that includes a “-“), we just deleted them all. As to why the cache files were hidden, we do not know. Perhaps Java was already installed as a spyware. So a manual install was performed.

Emptying Java and its Cache files: Dragging it all to the trash would take a bit, to empty, indeed. So, rather than fiddle around with unhiding it all (I’m not up for unhiding files), we just used the commands. Now, and all is now fine.

I don’t have those screenshots to show of the hidden cache files.

May 7, 2019 3:19 PM in response to TheLittles

I got a message on that site saying the Java isn’t used by Safari V. 12 and that something else is being used?

Java isn't used by Apple at all, for anything.

If you are not using it in a web browser, then there is no reason to have the Java.com version (applet) running.

If you use other apps that rely on Java, you would need a Java JDK.

If not, you don't need Java at all.

Why was the cache Hidden

The user Library is hidden by Apple. The Java folders are not otherwise hidden.

"A new version of Java is available!" - Is this Official

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.