Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get iTunes to recognize iOS backup transferred from another computer

I made the dumb decision of transferring my iOS data to a new PC and get a new iPad at the same time. I backed up my iPad to the old PC, wiped the iPad clean, then got new iPad. The intention was to sync the iPad to the old PC and restore from that backup. However, the new iPad pro has USB-C connectors (I don't have an adaptor that will work), which my new PC does have. So, I transferred the backup files from Appdata/Apple Computer/...etc (the folder with a thousand alphanumeric characters in it).

I've done a search on here, and everything tells me how to copy the iOS backup from one machine to another, but none of them tell me how to get iTunes, installed on a new PC, to actually *recognize* the existence of this backup so I can restore to my new iPad. All instructions that I've found on here (such as this one: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204215 ) assume that when I click the Devices tab in iTunes, I actually see the backup. But, as iTunes itself is a new install, it's blank. How do I un-blank it?

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on May 6, 2019 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2019 9:47 PM

Never mind. False alarm. Turns out the file path iTunes is looking for on the new PC doesn't exactly match the one from the old PC (i.e. it isn't using the "AppData" folder). Found the correct location, moved the backup files there, and everything appears to be working.

Similar questions

1 reply

How to get iTunes to recognize iOS backup transferred from another computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.