Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing-up iPad onto iMac via iTunes

I am attempting to backup my 7 year old iPad (Model 329B/A) onto my 'late 2013' iMac (running Sierra version 10.12.6) via iTunes

iTunes is up to date on Mac.

The sync will not get past stage 2 of 5 then I hear an audible chiming from the iPad with a flickering battery percentage icon followed a little while later with a pop up message on the Mac advising that the back-up has timed out. This has happened several times using alternative USB ports on the rear of the Mac.

Any suggestions from the Community why this should be?

Thanks

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 12:48 PM

You can ask another question if you like, but I think you will probably get basically the same response. I see no problem in erasing all contents and settings and restoring the backup. If the backup was successful, it should work fine.

One last thought....use the same USB port that you used for the backup. :)

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2019 12:48 PM in response to Pops47

You can ask another question if you like, but I think you will probably get basically the same response. I see no problem in erasing all contents and settings and restoring the backup. If the backup was successful, it should work fine.

One last thought....use the same USB port that you used for the backup. :)

Aug 23, 2019 12:42 PM in response to Demo

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply Demo.

Your response got me thinking ... the only USB Port I hadn't tried was the one which is permanently used by my Time Machine remote hard drive. Tried that and bingo! No idea why the other three USB ports wouldn't allow a backup to proceed???

Now I've been successful in backing up, in an attempt to reinvigorate my 7 year old iPad I'm thinking of 'erasing all content and settings' and then restore via the iTunes backup. Any advice on that planned process or would it be better for me to ask the community under a separate query?

Very many thanks

Pops47

Backing-up iPad onto iMac via iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.