Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WHAT is going on with Apple Music?? (**with videos**) Can't play anything.

I've been having this problem for months. I don't know why I haven't just canceled yet. I have all of my music library through Apple Music, and I really don't want to switch services and manually add each of my songs to another service - along with playlist organization, etc.. I'm also not ready to give up this phone. It works fine, this is the only issue.

Here's the problem:

One day, a long time ago, out of the blue, I attempt to hit play on a song (downloaded or not) from Apple Music. It attempts* to play it, and then pauses, both almost instantly, within under a second. Sometimes I hit play and it spazzes out for a second between pause/play. Sometimes, 1/100 chance, it actually works. However, forget about pausing the song - this will restart the glitch.

Screencap of it:

https://youtu.be/roOVS1lm2Gc

*it might not even attempt to play it; it's probably just a huge music-breaking glitch.

Now, it's an entirely different story if I play something that has been downloaded to my computer from a third party, or purchased from iTunes. For example, I create music, and I use iTunes to upload my pieces to iCloud, which then transfers to my phone over the cloud. This music plays just fine.

Screencap of this:

https://youtu.be/k64_1ameqAU

It's just Apple Music - the pay per month service. I've been unable to play any Apple Music for months.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

iPhone SE, iOS 11

Posted on May 6, 2019 11:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2019 11:40 AM

Hello damiencas,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. Based on the details you've provided, I understand that you are having issues playing your Apple Music content. I use Apple Music all the time, so I understand how important it is to get this working for you, as it's a service you pay for each month. You've shared great details with me already which provided a clear understanding of what's happening, so I thank you for that. I will be happy to provide you more guidance to gain a solution.

The first step I recommend, is making sure your iOS is fully updated, which ensures you receive any improvements and enhancements in the software: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. This is a great step to take that can solve many issues.

When you Restart your iPhone does that improve the playback of your Apple Music content, or does the same issue remain? Have you tried signing out / back in to your Apple ID in iTunes & App Store to see if that improves the playback? If you have not done this, it is a recommended step to take in troubleshooting this issue. Please keep in mind, however, that signing out of your Apple ID for Apple Music will remove any downloaded content and you would have to add it back on manually, as this is a streaming only service.

I'd also like to have you test the playback issue on any other device that you may be signed in to under the same Apple ID for Apple Music. Does the playback issue persist on any other device?

Lastly, I would like to have you test playback of Apple Music while connected to cellular data, as well as a different Wi-Fi network (other than the one you were connected to during your videos). Does the same playback issue happen on all networks, or just a specific one?

I also recommend reviewing Get help with iCloud Music Library to complete any troubleshooting suggested on our support site, related to your playback issues.

I look forward to hearing back from you, and appreciate your patience as we troubleshoot together.

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2019 11:40 AM in response to damiencas

Hello damiencas,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. Based on the details you've provided, I understand that you are having issues playing your Apple Music content. I use Apple Music all the time, so I understand how important it is to get this working for you, as it's a service you pay for each month. You've shared great details with me already which provided a clear understanding of what's happening, so I thank you for that. I will be happy to provide you more guidance to gain a solution.

The first step I recommend, is making sure your iOS is fully updated, which ensures you receive any improvements and enhancements in the software: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. This is a great step to take that can solve many issues.

When you Restart your iPhone does that improve the playback of your Apple Music content, or does the same issue remain? Have you tried signing out / back in to your Apple ID in iTunes & App Store to see if that improves the playback? If you have not done this, it is a recommended step to take in troubleshooting this issue. Please keep in mind, however, that signing out of your Apple ID for Apple Music will remove any downloaded content and you would have to add it back on manually, as this is a streaming only service.

I'd also like to have you test the playback issue on any other device that you may be signed in to under the same Apple ID for Apple Music. Does the playback issue persist on any other device?

Lastly, I would like to have you test playback of Apple Music while connected to cellular data, as well as a different Wi-Fi network (other than the one you were connected to during your videos). Does the same playback issue happen on all networks, or just a specific one?

I also recommend reviewing Get help with iCloud Music Library to complete any troubleshooting suggested on our support site, related to your playback issues.

I look forward to hearing back from you, and appreciate your patience as we troubleshoot together.

Cheers!

May 8, 2019 12:37 PM in response to damiencas

Hey damiencas,

I'm happy to hear back from you! That is fantastic news to hear the Apple Music playback issue has been resolved after completing the iOS update. It's even cooler to hear that your iPhone is performing even better now too! That is always the goal, and it sounds like we achieved that as a team!

Enjoy your Apple Music, and take care!

WHAT is going on with Apple Music?? (**with videos**) Can't play anything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.