Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music won't download to my iPhone

Headline: cannot successfully download music from my Apple Music account to my iPhone

Details:

Recently got a replacement iPhone 8 (thanks, AppleCare+!). Since that exchange, I cannot successfully download all of my selected Apple Music (subscribed) to my phone. When viewing "Downloaded Music" under Library on the phone, I see "Cancel 6,589 Downloads" above a scrolling list of (I assume) 6,589 songs, each of which has a "waiting" or "queued" spinning circle (none of them show downloading progress). All of this is below the "Showing only music on this iPhone" heading. None of the downloads ever seem to start (it's been over a month now).

I will note that over 3,000 songs from my music collection are on the phone; it's just the additional 6,500+ songs that I've specified to be downloaded that won't seem to download (ever).

I will also note that the library is generally up-to-date as regards my selections from Apple Music. For example, albums that I selected yesterday appear in the library on the phone (though the albums are NOT downloaded - they are "queued" for downloading, as described above). I have "Sync Library" and "Automatic Downloads" turned on in Music's settings.

WiFi is connected and strong (I'm currently streaming the impeachment hearings over that network). Plenty of available bandwidth, per SpeedTest (60mbps down; 75 mbps up right now).

I have rebooted the phone; shut down Music; performed "Reset all Settings". None of this has helped.

iPhone 8; 13.1.3; 256GB (188GB available)

iPhone 8

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 4:47 PM

Okay, via trial-and-error, I have determined that this behavior is caused by damaged or missing content. By cancelling individual downloads, I can identify the songs / albums that are either damaged or missing. For those that are damaged, deleting and re-adding the album from Apple Music starts a set of downloads that work. For those that have “gone missing” from Apple Music, though, there is no way to re-add them from Apple Music. In some cases, these are albums for which I own the source content (CD), so I can re-rip and re-add them (and will do so). In other cases, though, these are albums that I originally downloaded under my Apple Music subscription, so if I can’t find them on Apple Music, then I’m out of luck. I’m surprised that I’ve gotten no more-helpful indication that these Music-sourced albums or songs are no longer available (such as grayed-out song titles, as is done in at least some other cases). That final aspect is perplexing, and if I figure out anything on that front, I’ll re-post here.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2019 4:47 PM in response to drengfer

Okay, via trial-and-error, I have determined that this behavior is caused by damaged or missing content. By cancelling individual downloads, I can identify the songs / albums that are either damaged or missing. For those that are damaged, deleting and re-adding the album from Apple Music starts a set of downloads that work. For those that have “gone missing” from Apple Music, though, there is no way to re-add them from Apple Music. In some cases, these are albums for which I own the source content (CD), so I can re-rip and re-add them (and will do so). In other cases, though, these are albums that I originally downloaded under my Apple Music subscription, so if I can’t find them on Apple Music, then I’m out of luck. I’m surprised that I’ve gotten no more-helpful indication that these Music-sourced albums or songs are no longer available (such as grayed-out song titles, as is done in at least some other cases). That final aspect is perplexing, and if I figure out anything on that front, I’ll re-post here.

Apple Music won't download to my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.