Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could having multiple apps open at the same time in iOS’s App Switcher affect iPad performance?

As a newbie, I read in this forum, often and increasingly, of complaints about screen freezes or intermittent, unexpected lags in performance, particularly with iOS 12.2. But I’ve just had an ah-ha moment — doing something myself — making me want to ask: Could having multiple apps open at the same time in iOS’s App Switcher affect performance?

Our iPads are incredible fast machines, but even I have noticed unexpected lags at time — which I’ve always attributed to “processing” lags, rather than hardware and/or software defects. But it’s rather infrequent, and I’ve it little thought.

Sometimes, when I delete an email, for example, if I decide I want to take another look at it, and go to the trash, on occasion there’s a multi-seconds lag before it’ll even appear in the trash can. I’ve even thought of timing it, as it seems, sometimes, it could take nearly half a minute for it to, finally, show up...

And, most specifically, most who’ve reported these ‘problems/annoyances’ have said, I believe, that when they erased/deleted/reset things, everything was okay — at least for a little while.

Which only supports my wondering...

With the barest of research, this article says with iOS 11 and 12, the control center and app switcher merged to assist with multi-taking. Seemingly, the complaintants seem to express issues revolving around iOS 12.2.

Additionally, the article states, further on, that “there’s normally no need to close apps on iOS because Apple manages the device’s power needs and keeps apps from using resources when not in use...”.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/ipad-app-switcher-ios-11/

However, I’ve never paid any attention to the App Switcher, and — except for this evening, which got me to wondering about things — I’m often stunned, when I do go look, at how very, very, very many apps — things I hadn’t looked at in forever — are still open, all at once, where I’d had no conscious notion of it.

So, as folks seem to state having freeze/lag issues, crop up again, after having them, successfully, totally removed, would it make sense that this issue “could” be due to processing lags?

Specifically, could having multiple apps open at the same time in iOS’s App Switcher affect iPad performance?

I realize almost everything has been tried, when this issue crops up, but have folks checked their App Switcher to see just how many programs they have open, simultaneously? I’m not aware of, specifically, reading that’d been done in the long list of other things tried...

I understand there’s ‘normally no need’ to have to close apps. But, perhaps, we’re not dealing with normal? And if processing power were the issue, wouldn’t closing unneeded open apps be so very much easier than the frustrating reboot that it’s said folks are doing each and every time?

Hmm... I’m thinking I’m going to be paying a little more attention to my App Switcher...

Posted on May 7, 2019 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2019 6:04 PM

ONLY if an app is open and actually doing something like streaming music, would it in any way affect the performance. And iOS 12.2 has nothing to do with it. The reality is in most situation, it's simply unnecessary to close apps fully as they are truly suspended when not actively being used.

Similar questions

10 replies

May 8, 2019 4:24 PM in response to ilovedaisies

If you are interested in improving the overall performance of your new iPad Pro, as well, take a look at my comprehensive list of things to do here in my link below.

Tap on the link below to my iDevice/iOS performance/optimisation user tips link.

Slow iPad on iOS 9, 10 or 11! - Apple Community

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together. Do not simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance “cure all”.

Many of these tips are designed to work together to help improve overall iOS/iDevice performance.

I use many, if not ALL, of these performance tips on ALL of my iPads.

EVEN my 3-1/2 year old iPad Pro!

Good Luck!

May 7, 2019 7:26 PM in response to ilovedaisies

I keep all of my App Switcher apps to a a minimum. Apps CAN still use of RAM.

I a;ways try to keep iPad apps, in the Switcher, to 20 or less and they are usually apps that use minimal RAM resources.

I keep Background app Refresh Off for many apps.

Especially those apps that can continually reach out to the Internet for data refresh isn’t necessary if I am NOT actually using/actively running such apps.

May 7, 2019 7:31 PM in response to ilovedaisies

Another issue is when users open and use a Web browser with lots and lots of active Website tabs.

My mom is guilty of this.

Having anywhere between 25-50 active Website tabs open in a Web browser.

Those tabs are constantly active and updating, even though those tabs aren't being viewed.

AND if a Web browser is running in the background Switched, all of those Website tabs are still being constantly updated in the background.

Could having multiple apps open at the same time in iOS’s App Switcher affect iPad performance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.