Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File transfer from hard drive to AirPort Extreme very slow

Hi there,

I have on al LACIE hard drive which I have connected to my AirPort Extreme through USB to transfer files from the first to the second (trying to rationalize multiple HD’s built up over the years into the AirPort).

Unfortunately transferring data seems to be very slow, slower that of done over the WiFi network!

Any suggestions?

thanks

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 10, 2019 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2019 6:30 AM

No, you want to avoid using the USB port on the TC, since that is where most of slow down is occurring as LaPastenague has explained. Also, avoid using WiFi for the transfer as well.

Connect the TC to your Mac using an Ethernet connection, then connect the Lacie drive to your Mac. If your Mac does not have an Ethernet port, you can use an Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, which will allow much faster speeds than WiFi.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD463LL/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2019 6:30 AM in response to AScortecci

No, you want to avoid using the USB port on the TC, since that is where most of slow down is occurring as LaPastenague has explained. Also, avoid using WiFi for the transfer as well.

Connect the TC to your Mac using an Ethernet connection, then connect the Lacie drive to your Mac. If your Mac does not have an Ethernet port, you can use an Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, which will allow much faster speeds than WiFi.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD463LL/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

May 10, 2019 5:53 AM in response to AScortecci

I am just not sure what direction the files are moving in.. or what the second drive is.

Do you mean you have a Time Capsule which has internal drive.. and you are copying the files from LaCie USB drive to the Time Capsule internal drive??

If I have it wrong.. what or where is the second drive.

I will assume the copy is USB to TC internal drive.

USB port on all Time Capsules / Airport Extreme are USB 2.0 but they are hampered by slow processors. Speed is woeful.

If you are using wireless instead of ethernet that makes it double bad... because all packets go from USB to Computer over wireless.. computer back to the TC over wireless.. and then written to the internal hard disk.

Wireless being half-duplex makes this hugely slow.

There are two major speed ups.

1. Plug the USB into the computer. If it has USB3 interface all the better.. even FW800 beats USB2.
  2. Use ethernet.. if at all possible.. even to buying a thunderbolt to ethernet dongle that matches the age of the computer.

File transfer from hard drive to AirPort Extreme very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.