Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I install CarPlay on my 6th Gen IPad model A1954.

I need to install CarPlay on to my 6th Gen Ipad Model #A1954. One of my soul purposes on getting a new or used IPad was to use it as my Car Infotainment System, however I knew that the iPad Air came with CarPlay preloaded on the the device and that is what I was going to get. However, my lovely sweet wife knows nothing about IPads, and she surprised me with my new 6th Gen IPad Model #A1954. My current cellphone is a Apple 7 Plus and of course it has CarPlay, but nada on the IPad. Is there anyway to install CarPlay on this IPAD? Or does anyone know how to connect my 7Plus to the IPad so I can use the CarPlay off my 7Plus. Please help me...

iPad, iOS 12

Posted on May 10, 2019 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2019 6:16 AM

No iPad has Apple Car Play. Only iPhone has Apple Car Play. Since you have an iPhone 7 Plus, use your iPhone for Car Play if your car is Car Play enabled.

CarPlay is compatible with these iPhone models.

• iPhone XS
  • iPhone ten s
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone ten s Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone ten r
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus
  • iPhone SE
  • iPhone 5s
  • iPhone 5c
  • iPhone 5

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2019 6:16 AM in response to Gwatso72

No iPad has Apple Car Play. Only iPhone has Apple Car Play. Since you have an iPhone 7 Plus, use your iPhone for Car Play if your car is Car Play enabled.

CarPlay is compatible with these iPhone models.

• iPhone XS
  • iPhone ten s
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone ten s Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone ten r
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus
  • iPhone SE
  • iPhone 5s
  • iPhone 5c
  • iPhone 5

May 12, 2019 7:19 AM in response to Gwatso72

Well, your assertion that iPad Mini includes CarPlay is incorrect. NO iPad includes CarPlay. So whether you have a full sized iPad or a Mini, you don't get CarPlay. And since you don't have a car with CarPlay, CarPlay is pretty useless to you anyway. CarPlay, is for iPhone. It connects to cars which are CarPlay ready. You can use your iPad in your car, but you can't use CarPlay. You can't use CarPlay from your iPhone either, because your car isn't CarPlay enabled.

Can you connect you iPhone to your car via Bluetooth? Does your car have an infotainment screen? Does your car offer voice commands via a button on the steering wheel?

If the answer to the above question are yes, do the following:

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Bluetooth > You Car > Tap the little circle with an i in it. Turn on Notifications. This will let you get text messages through the car and if you have an infotainment screen even read them on the screen
  2. If you have a voice command button on your steering wheel, if you hold it in long enough, it will bring up Siri. You can then ask Siri to read your text message OR even better, respond to the text. All by voice command.

But no matter what you do, you CAN'T use CarPlay on your iPad in your car. Not even on a Mini. You also can't use CarPlay on your iPhone - Because your car is NOT CarPlay enabled.

On a final note. If you intend to keep your car, you can buy aftermarket head units to replace your car's system, which DO include Apple CarPlay. Most of the big names in car systems, such as Pioneer have solutions available. Best Buy can install a new system in your car and then you can use CarPlay. But not from ANY iPad. From your iPhone.

May 12, 2019 6:55 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I understand that only IPhones and Ipad minis come with CarPlay already installed pre-installed on the devices. That is reason I was looking specifically for a IPad Mini. After reading my original post, I can see that I was not very clear on the sole intention and purpose of getting a Ipad Mini. My intention is to mount the IPad mini to my 2015 Mustang (which is not CarPlay compatiable) to my dash and use it as my main infotainment system via USB/BT.

The issue is. My wife (not tech savvy) was being a sweetheart and purchased me a 6th Gen Ipad A1954 as a surprise gift, not knowing all the details that I needed it for (CarPlay), and the Ipad is non-returnable. I already have the Ipad temporarily mounted to my dash via USB/BT, and it works fine. However not having CarPlay on the Ipad defeats my purpose of using it as my hands free car infotainment system. ie; having to type texts while driving, which is illegal in Florida....

At this point I pretty sure that I am in pickle with CarPlay. However, do you know a way to connect my IPhone 7Plus to my Ipad A1954 and utilize CarPlay form my IPhone 7Plus? I know that I car mirror link the 2 devices, but again that also defeats my purpose. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks ,

Greg

How can I install CarPlay on my 6th Gen IPad model A1954.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.