Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this a real apple issue or is someone trying to hack my account?

I received this email today but the format of the email looks nothing like my normal apple emails and the location at the bottom is incorrect. Is this a hacker? If so apple needs to send out a warning to users.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 12

Posted on May 10, 2019 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2019 7:46 AM

It is phishing. Apple will never threaten to disable your account. In a message Apple will always address you by your real name, never by your email address or Dear Customer. Also the sent-from address should be @apple.com or @itunes.com Additionally Apple does not send attachments.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Forward it as an attachment to reportphishing@apple.com

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2019 7:46 AM in response to Morg_zzz

It is phishing. Apple will never threaten to disable your account. In a message Apple will always address you by your real name, never by your email address or Dear Customer. Also the sent-from address should be @apple.com or @itunes.com Additionally Apple does not send attachments.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Forward it as an attachment to reportphishing@apple.com

May 10, 2019 7:46 AM in response to Morg_zzz

You mean notify users like this? -->Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Millions, if not billions, of users receive fraudulent emails every day, and not just about Apple devices. If you can think of a way to notify all of them to not fall for scams and then assure that they don't you would become a hero.

Is this a real apple issue or is someone trying to hack my account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.