Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The screen that came up says "Enter Passcode Touch ID requires your passcode when iPad restarts."

I just received an iPad Generation 2 as a gift. I didn't complete the setup tasks yesterday. Today, I turned on my new iPad in order to finish setup. The screen that came up says "Enter Passcode Touch ID requires your passcode when iPad restarts." So I put my finger on the home button expecting it to recognize the finger print, but nothing happened. I tried my iCloud password and that didn't work. Now I'm stuck. I don't recall making any separate passcodes yesterday but maybe I did. How can I find out what it is?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on May 11, 2019 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2019 10:04 AM

When setting up the iPad, and specifically when setting up Touch ID, you are required to setup a passcode. Its a step you cannot skip during actual setup of the iPad.

If however, you just went into Settings->Touch ID & Passcode to setup your fingerprint, then there was already passcode in place.

This passcode is then required for security purposes when the iPad has been turned off completely, and then turned on again to enable the fingerprint scanning feature.

If you don't remember what passcode you set up, or it was already setup and you don't know it, then you will have to restore the iPad to factory settings, and set it up again.

Make sure you write down the passcode you setup when you get to that point again.

Follow the steps here: If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2019 10:04 AM in response to New2iPad2

When setting up the iPad, and specifically when setting up Touch ID, you are required to setup a passcode. Its a step you cannot skip during actual setup of the iPad.

If however, you just went into Settings->Touch ID & Passcode to setup your fingerprint, then there was already passcode in place.

This passcode is then required for security purposes when the iPad has been turned off completely, and then turned on again to enable the fingerprint scanning feature.

If you don't remember what passcode you set up, or it was already setup and you don't know it, then you will have to restore the iPad to factory settings, and set it up again.

Make sure you write down the passcode you setup when you get to that point again.

Follow the steps here: If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

May 11, 2019 1:24 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124, it took a couple of attempts but I finally managed to reset my new/used iPad to factory settings and start over. It has taken several hours, as I am iPad-challenged, but I got 'er done and got it all set up for me. Now I'm ready to get started and play! When I went to the help center, before asking on this community, I didn't ask the right questions in order to get an answer that would take me to the page you sent me to. Thank you so much!

"The screen that came up says "Enter Passcode Touch ID requires your passcode when iPad restarts."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.