Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone Cellular Data use same time each night?

I noticed that my daughter (iPhone 7) and I (iPhone 6) both show some Cellular Data usage each night when we are connected to WiFi. With hers it is a lot more sometimes up to 300MB. This is consuming a lot of our cellular data and almost caused us to go over our plan limit last month.

I am always connected to WiFi at home. She is connected at home or at friends place. We see the cellular usage no matter where we are. Our plan is through Verizon. I checked my backup time last night and it was it 6:34am. The unexplained Cellular usage was at 5:14am. So it appears to not be related to backup.

My unexplained usage is about the same time each night. Her unexplained usage is at about 3:57 each night. How can I find out what is causing this and correct it?

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on May 11, 2019 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2019 4:35 PM

Carriers do not report cellular data usage in real time. They accumulate it in their switches and post it to the billing system periodically. What you are seeing is the accumulated usage from a previous time period that is reported at that time. They are not charging to transfer that usage; they already have it in their network switches. The amount that you see posted is the data used in a previous time period. As I recall Verizon posts usage every 3 hours, unless it has changed since I worked on their billing system.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2019 4:35 PM in response to dmthomas49

Carriers do not report cellular data usage in real time. They accumulate it in their switches and post it to the billing system periodically. What you are seeing is the accumulated usage from a previous time period that is reported at that time. They are not charging to transfer that usage; they already have it in their network switches. The amount that you see posted is the data used in a previous time period. As I recall Verizon posts usage every 3 hours, unless it has changed since I worked on their billing system.

IPhone Cellular Data use same time each night?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.