Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Internet Slow

I have just encountered a very peculiar problem recently.

My mac’s internet becomes irresponsive after a few seconds of using it. Turning wifi off and then on fix the issue temporarily for a few seconds.

I searched online and seems like the problem lays in PRAM. I tried the command-option-p-r but nothing happened, only a grey screen was shown and my mac never boots. I have to let go of the keys for the mac to reboot.

And safe mode didn’t work out as well.

And with irresponsive I means that all my pings times out and a web browser never makes it to forge a socket at all.

Sometimes if I ignore the problem, previous unloaded pages loads but the internet quickly become stuck in a few seconds.

It is not my wifi’s problem as my iPhone works fine with the same network.

It does not seems to be my Mac’s settings too as it functions great with my iPhone’s hotspot.

The problem only happens if I connects to wifi with my mac.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 13, 2019 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2019 2:45 PM

Given everything you tried, an incipient hardware fault seems to be the likely cause. A conclusive determination can be difficult.

Try the following procedure to determine if the problem is internal or external to your Mac. Causes may involve your router, your ISP, the DNS Server(s) it uses, or certain user-configurable options.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Load macOS Recovery by holding ⌘ and r (two fingers) while you start your Mac with a third finger.
  3. At the macOS Utilities screen, release those two fingers.
  4. Choose Get Help Online.
  5. Safari will launch, but it will lack your bookmarks, favorites, history and other preferences.

Determine if the problem persists while using Safari in that mode. After that, restart your Mac normally, and reply with your observations.

You can also use Terminal while in Recovery mode. Select Terminal from the the macOS Utilities main screen, Utilities menu. Determine if using ping times out in the same manner.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2019 2:45 PM in response to zhaoyun0

Given everything you tried, an incipient hardware fault seems to be the likely cause. A conclusive determination can be difficult.

Try the following procedure to determine if the problem is internal or external to your Mac. Causes may involve your router, your ISP, the DNS Server(s) it uses, or certain user-configurable options.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Load macOS Recovery by holding ⌘ and r (two fingers) while you start your Mac with a third finger.
  3. At the macOS Utilities screen, release those two fingers.
  4. Choose Get Help Online.
  5. Safari will launch, but it will lack your bookmarks, favorites, history and other preferences.

Determine if the problem persists while using Safari in that mode. After that, restart your Mac normally, and reply with your observations.

You can also use Terminal while in Recovery mode. Select Terminal from the the macOS Utilities main screen, Utilities menu. Determine if using ping times out in the same manner.

MacBook Pro Internet Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.